hf1

Problems with night sleeping...getting worse

My avatar
mamarozi
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Problems with night sleeping...getting worse

Postby mamarozi » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:18 am

I just got up after a night from hell. Second in the row and even worse. We managed to get our 6months old daughter to sleep at 11pm. She slept for an hour, woke up crying. We fed her, lulled her back to sleep. She slept for half an hour, woke up crying, didn't want to eat, didnt take the pacifier, calmed only when I took her and put her on my shoulder. She slept on my shoulder for 20 mins, woke up crying. So I moved to the living room, as our sofa is higher than our bed and its easier to get up all the time if I stay there. I had to get up every single hour. She was crying. Fell back to sleep quickly, as soon as I got up and started to walk around. She slept on me all the time. A bit on my shoulder, a bit in my arms.
Her daddy thinks its colic. I dont. She can be calmed far to easy for colic. All it takes is me getting up and taking a walk around the room.
In the morning, she woke up crying, she was indeed hungry. I fed her and she went on being her usual morning self-smiling at me, being in a good mood, no trouble at all.
She had trouble sleeping from the moment she was born. First two months were a nightmare day and night. Now she has 2-3 naps during the day, that last an hour, even two on a good day.
For the past week I'm trying to get her to sleep without the carrying around and rocking and lulling. I only do this at her morning nap and the second if she seems in a good mood. It is kinda succesful, she falls asleep in her bed, with me stroking her head and talking softly. Evenings are the same as always as she gets really annoyed at evenings.
We did have some poo issues in the past month. She got runny poos for no apparent reason. Tests for viruses and bacteria came out negative and the pediatrician said it was unlikely that the start of solids had anything to do with this. We stopped the solids anyway. Her poo is still much softer than it was. Currently she's on lactose free formula and yesterday I started to put her back on her regular formula. During the night we switched back to lactose free, even though I doubt it has anything to do with it.
Me personally, I suspect dairy intolerance. Mild enough to not raise any serious health issues, but strong enough to give her some trouble.
She has bad skin since birth. First, it was the usuall hormonal acne, but it went on...she gets pimples on daily basis, her cheeks are not smooth and soft but rough and look cracked if looked very closely. She has constant rash around her mouth. Our pediatrician says:"Its normal, its saliva doing it, she has nice skin..."
She suggested the special milk-allergy formula to "try" and if the poo gets normal, blablabla, we'll do allergy tests. Honestly, I cant afford that. That formula costs 6 times as much as her regular.

What do you think. Can it be milk? Or is she just annoyed, cause I changed her go-to-sleep routine during the day?
I'm really frustrated, because I seriously lack sleep and if my hubby wants to help, she gets hystericall-only I can calm her :gaah:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Problems with night sleeping...getting worse

Postby ladybird » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:26 am

Are you sure she's not teething? That would cause the sleeplessness, the frustration, the upset and the runny poo.

If your instincts are with the dairy though then perhaps you should push that further with the Dr.

My avatar
mamarozi
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby mamarozi » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:34 am

I did think of that, but is it possible, that it only affects her during the night? And this thing with poo lasts now almost a month and a half and no teeth yet. And the poo is sometimes very runny, sometimes thick and with green patches, sometimes yellow...surprise very single time I see it! She does go only once or twice daily now, a month ago it was 8-10 times a day!
God, I hope its teething, that would be the easy way out for all of us and the cheapest ;)
My greatest wish for the past 6 months is to see my baby sleep well at night. I am going to be sooo happy, when she'll sleep at least 4 hours without waking. But the sleeping issue gets only worse. From three wakings to feed only, we've come to waking 4, 5, 6 times a night. And now, every single hour...

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:51 am

I'd suggest teething too and yes we've had more problems through the night than the day with teething :roll:
Though don't give up on the dairy intolerance, it could very well still be that.
And :hug: for the bad nights, they're awful :(

My avatar
sjm
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby sjm » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:35 am

Have you looked into reflux. My lo has silent reflux and sleep was a big problem till treated for reflux.
Sarah

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:48 am

My son has never slept, ever...it was normal for him to wake 25 times in a night...for the same things as your daughter, he would cry and i would get him back to sleep 30-40 mins later he was awake again, crying and sometimes not crying...just awake...smiling at me etc...

He has reflux and takes ranitidene for that and recently i decided to cut out ALL dairy from his diet. I have put him on a soya based formula and he has no cows milk in his diet...he is now sleeping 7pm-6am just waking a couple of times for his dummy etc...but the difference has been AMAZING!

If you instinct tells you that there is something else wrong then pursue it, i wish i had done earlier!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:52 am

You should be able to get the formula on prescription from your gp

My avatar
mamarozi
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby mamarozi » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:25 am

megansmummy wrote:He has reflux and takes ranitidene for that and recently i decided to cut out ALL dairy from his diet. I have put him on a soya based formula and he has no cows milk in his diet...he is now sleeping 7pm-6am just waking a couple of times for his dummy etc...but the difference has been AMAZING!
If you instinct tells you that there is something else wrong then pursue it, i wish i had done earlier!

I just read your story yesterday and made me even more determined to have her tested.

lazylexis wrote:You should be able to get the formula on prescription from your gp

Yeah, but only if tested positive for dairy allergy. If not, I need to buy it myself.

sjm wrote:Have you looked into reflux. My lo has silent reflux and sleep was a big problem till treated for reflux.
Sarah

Will look into that also, yes.

Thank you all for all the supportive words. I really need them right now. I actually expected some progress re:sleeping in 6 months, but it only got worse...
My mom says I spoiled her...but...how on earth do you spoil a baby that young. And also, I think before even considering this option, I must exclude all possible medical reasons.

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:32 am

mamarozi wrote:My mom says I spoiled her...but...how on earth do you spoil a baby that young. And also, I think before even considering this option, I must exclude all possible medical reasons.

I completely disagree with your mum :oops: and agree with you, you can't spoil a baby by giving them too much of your time. They've spent 9 months tucked up warm inside you havig all their demands met and now they're in the scary, cold world. They need as much comfort as you can give them for a good while yet. Even my baby book, written by a well known doctor says you can't spoil a baby in at least the first 12 months by giving them all they need, when they need it :wink: So don't feel bad for showing your little girl as much comfort as she needs :hug:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler