hf1

Cranial Osteopathy - thoughts???

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Cranial Osteopathy - thoughts???

Postby rachel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:55 pm

I've heard about this a few times on here and wondering if it would be any good for Evie? She has never been a very good sleeper and wakes in the night crying and doesn't seem to be growing out of it :( I know that other contributing factors play a part in her waking and being disturbed...constant teething for one. I just wondered if anyone had had this kind of treatment with their LO and whether they thought it was effective?

ETA: I didn't have any instrumental help during delivery but she was 10lbs so that's a pretty big head to fit through anywhere :shock:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Cranial Osteopathy - thoughts???

Postby ladybird » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:01 pm

All 3 of mine had cranial osteopathy in infancy. Nayan for sleep problems (he's been the best sleeper of my 3, none have been great though), Tallin for repeated ear infections (worked wonders, never an ear infection again) and Ocean started for general health but went through a big head banging stage so the osteopath asked us to leave it until he stopped doing the head banging as it was undoing everything she was doing.

In some cultures the elders do it automatically soon after birth to readjust the skull after being squished in the birth canal.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:05 pm

I took Ben to an Osteopath regularly up to about 4 months. It really helped with his reflux. He was a much more settled baby after the treatment.

Also, the amazing thing for me - he had a blocked tear duct from the moment he was born, it was constantly gunky and I had to wipe it clean several times a day. It wasn't serious but I am sure it must have been uncomfortable for him. The doctors refuse to do anything about it until they are at least 6 months old as they should grow out of it :roll: Anyway, on our final session the osteopath mentioned that as he was so settled now she would look to address his eye. I didn't think much of it at the time as she didn't go anywhere near his face - I can't remember what she said now but she described what she was doing and it did seem a little far fetched shall we say. Anyway, I didn't think about it until the end of the following day and I realised that I had not had to wipe his eye once that day - it was totally clear and has been ever since. This is too much of a coincidence to not convince me that it really does work, I don't know how, but it does!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:05 pm

I'm a huge skeptic as it didn't do anything for my kids :?
But to be fair both had medical issues which didn't seem correctable by osteopathy... (we're now fairly sure that Isabelle was dairy intolerant)...

I found it rather pricey for something which didn't appear to do much if anything at all :? Perhaps I was expecting too much :giggle:

That said I've never tried it for the glue ear so perhaps I should consider osteopathy again...

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:06 pm

I do think you have to go for a few sessions to see any benefit and as Steph says, it can be pricey :-?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:10 pm

Annette wrote:I do think you have to go for a few sessions to see any benefit and as Steph says, it can be pricey :-?

Yeah this is true - we had loads of sessions with Isabelle but I gave up after only two with Grace as it was too difficult getting there and I had to take Isabelle with me too...

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:10 pm

I've been to an osteopath (not cranial though) and had a result in 2mins flat. I had sciatica on and off for years and when pregnant went to see this guy (who was really creepy so I didn't go back) about my worsening SPD and also told him about the sciatica. He had a good look at my posture, etc. Had me lay on the treatment bed, touched my hip a little (I felt nothing) and that was it, instant cure and I've not had a twinge since.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:14 pm

i'm with steph on this one, catelyn saw a cranial osteopath for 3 months, weekly sessions at 30 quid a time and it did bugger all! i was so not impressed and as a single mum at the time it took every spare penny to send her. they said she had all kind of mis allignments, and they barely seemed to touch her.

i think a spritual healer would have done more, i've had sessions with them and was well freaked by the results!

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby victoriaw » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:17 pm

Yes, had two sessions with a cranial osteopath for Antonia's colic and it helped a lot. (She apparently had a very tight diaphragm as a result of ultra-fast delivery)

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler