hf1

Cranial Osteopathy - thoughts???

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Cranial Osteopathy - thoughts???

Postby northernruth » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:15 pm

You need to find a good one, but TBH the alignment is supposed to happen in the birth canal so if youhad natural delivery less likely to need it.

I had it with Martha as she was a forceps delivery but the osteo told me her plates weren't that bad and told me not to come again after the second session. It didn't help her colic, but I would do it again with another baby. Make sure you go on personal recommendation and ask them if they would chat through with you on the phone first. First session tends to be more pricy as includes a full consult

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:27 pm

Annette wrote:I took Ben to an Osteopath regularly up to about 4 months. It really helped with his reflux (it isn't just cranial). He was a much more settled baby after the treatment.

Also, the amazing thing for me - he had a blocked tear duct from the moment he was born, it was constantly gunky and I had to wipe it clean several times a day. It wasn't serious but I am sure it must have been uncomfortable for him. The doctors refuse to do anything about it until they are at least 6 months old as they should grow out of it :roll: Anyway, on our final session the osteopath mentioned that as he was so settled now she would look to address his eye. I didn't think much of it at the time as she didn't go anywhere near his face - I can't remember what she said now but she described what she was doing and it did seem a little far fetched shall we say. Anyway, I didn't think about it until the end of the following day and I realised that I had not had to wipe his eye once that day - it was totally clear and has been ever since. This is too much of a coincidence to not convince me that it really does work, I don't know how, but it does!

Just out of interest Annette :wink: Where did you take Ben? Thinking how a personal recomendation is better than Google-ing :)

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:35 pm

i took him to the osteopathic centre for children in manchester, on a personal recommendation from someone i met at slingmeet. But unfortunately it is closed at the moment. Sorry, i don't know if it is opening again.

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:41 pm

Thanks Annette. Yes I'd heard about them and knew it had closed, but I think at least one of the osteopaths is working at another place that came up when I Googled so I'll give them a call I think.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:16 pm

northernruth wrote:You need to find a good one, but TBH the alignment is supposed to happen in the birth canal so if youhad natural delivery less likely to need it.

It can help even with natural delivery (I had a natural delivery with Ben) because if it is fast or traumatic, there is a theory that the baby doesn't take it's first deep breath which fully inflates the body and aligns everything (not sure my description is quite right but you get the idea). With Ben it was definitely fast and traumatic and I distinctly remember he only whimpered - I was keen to hear him cry to make sure he was ok, especially as we were on our own.

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler