hf1

Creative names?

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Creative names?

Postby beck » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:34 pm

What does everyone think of creative names (Either made up, different spelling or modern names) or do you prefer traditional names and spelling?

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:39 pm

Does Benjamin Donald say it all :wink:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:42 pm

I like older style names but also like something a little different too. Dp and I loved Phoebe but didn't really like the spelling so decided on Phebie - I know it will mean a lifetime of her having to spell it out but you wouldn't believe the amount of times I have to spell Rebecca to people so I dont really see that as a problem iyswim. Hannah's middle names are Maree Jeen, we chose to spell Jeen differently because its mine and my mums middle name (Jean) and we wanted to pass it on but also make it her own if that makes sense.

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:42 pm

although my boys are called Nathaniel and Zacharia (biblical, traditional etc etc) if i had had my way...and i'd had a girl, they would have had more interesting names!!!!

My avatar
buzzybee21
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby buzzybee21 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:45 pm

I'm with Annette - I have an Alexander and a Theodore. We wanted names that were classical and had a long form and a short form that we liked. But we also wanted names that weren't too common, although Alex is about 20th on the list for his year group! We have a very conventional family on both sides so unconventional spellings like yours, Beck, would probably pass them all completely by! :lol:

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:47 pm

Ours are pretty traditional I guess.

My avatar
Skatey
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Skatey » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:48 pm

Tricky. Our rule was that our kids should have a name that people can pronounce and spell. DH has a name that has the unusual version spelling and gets really peed off that noone gets it right. But we broke all the rules with DD2 who is Ayla, pronounced like Isla. We like the sound of Isla but it means Island and its just wrong for her. So we went for the Hebrew version which is Terebinth tree: strong, spiritual and healing. Problem for her is that most people spell it wrong and she gets a 50/50 on pronunciation.

So the up down turnaround is I'd think hard about anything unusual!

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ericaj1 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:58 pm

Always gone for traditional, have thought about more modern names before eg: I always liked Freya but both dps vetoed it and Amber was on the shortlist when pg with Jack but we picked Charlotte in the end (went better with the older kids names)

If this little bean is a girl it's middle name will definitely be Lyra, I think that's quite out there for me :lol: :lol:

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:18 pm

ericaj1 wrote:Always gone for traditional, have thought about more modern names before eg: I always liked Freya but both dps vetoed it and Amber was on the shortlist when pg with Jack but we picked Charlotte in the end (went better with the older kids names)

If this little bean is a girl it's middle name will definitely be Lyra, I think that's quite out there for me :lol: :lol:

Why Lyra? It's very pretty.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler