hf1

Creative names?

My avatar
Liss07
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Liss07 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:18 pm

I have to say that I love both traditional and unusual names, if I'd had a girl then Emily was a hot contender, but we had another boy and named him after my Mum (his name is her maiden name). So I ended up both of them having 'unusual' names - Harley and Carter. Harley's name was nowhere in the baby name books and certainly not in the top 100 when I had him, but now it's residing somewhere at 80 (or was last year)!

My avatar
Heather London
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Heather London » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:15 pm

We like celtic names so both came from that tradition. BUt we made them easy to spell !

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:53 pm

HannahBanana wrote:I again went with what I would say is the correct spelling, it means peace which I liked, couldn't pick anything like (for example) Mary as I think it means something like bitter! Middle name was a tough one after finding a forename we loved so much. We narrowed it down to 5 and then let Jake pick! Funnily enough he picked the only one James contributed to the list which was "Jolie" and I like it as I don't know anyone other Jolie, it would make a lovely first name too! It is french and means prettyperfect so !

MAry is the English Version of Miriam which transalated as Sea of Bitterness...i could never use a name with a negetive meaning...i know a couple of Miriams who spell their name with different accentuations on the sylables and odd spells to 'change' the meaning...but i'm not sure to what!!

in my family we do a lot of transalating names to other languages to use names of gone reletives...when you dont actually want to used their names!! eg, my Neice Liora Rivka is named after my Grandma who was Called Claire, and in hebrew was Chaya Rifka. Claire is apparently one of the names which mean light in French...Liora means Light in Hebrew, and Rifka is the hebrew form of Rebecca. my sis refused to use Chaya, as it means 'life' but also 'wild animal', so living in Israel and calling your kid a name that means 'beast'...not so advisable!!! The same went for my other neice Called Vered Nechama, named after my great grandmother who was called Necha (a yiddish name that has no meaning) Rosa, Vered Means Rose in Hebrew, and Nechama sounds a little like Necha!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:08 pm

We did look into the meanings of names and found we kept falling back on flower names for girls middle names.

But Ben is called Benjamin because we both liked the name and we didn't know anyone with the name and there are no other people in the extended family with the name and it also has various meanings like first born son, favourite son.

Donald was after dh's dad who died 17 years ago so it seemed appropriate.

Our other names were (given that we had chosen 2 of each sex incase of twins in the beginning)

Myles James (1st coz we liked) 2nd because of we each had a grandfather of the name James

Girls - Amelia Poppy (again liked both names would have been shortened to Millie)
Lucinda then probably Beatrice or Sophie.

But then we decided as it was only 1 baby Ben would have been named Amelia Lucinda

My avatar
ginchyworld
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Creative names?

Postby ginchyworld » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:36 am

I don't mind unusual names, but I'm not a fan of extraneous (non-traditional) letters in names. I prefer Isabella to be Isabella and not Ihzahbelllya!

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:58 am

ginchyworld wrote:I don't mind unusual names, but I'm not a fan of extraneous (non-traditional) letters in names. I prefer Isabella to be Isabella and not Ihzahbelllya!

So in other words Phebie for Phoebe isn't your style :wink: :lol: :lol:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:14 pm

I like a name to have meaning to it too we decided on Hannah -meaning Grace (what every mummy wants there daughter to have) Maree- really liked this for some reason and Jeen is mine and my mums MN so wanted to pass that on but spelt it different to make it her own. If Hannah was a boy her name would of been Corbyn Dallas Drago :shock:

Phebie means Shinning and Jayde means gem so shes my Shinning Gem and Alexis cause I just really liked it, If she was a boy her name would of been Brock Charles Xavier

William means strong one/defender and Charles Lemnos - Charles Lemnos is DP's grandads name (past away 2yrs ago)so it was really fitting if he was a girl his name would of been Yvette Amelia Jayne.

My avatar
ginchyworld
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby ginchyworld » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:26 pm

beck wrote:
ginchyworld wrote:I don't mind unusual names, but I'm not a fan of extraneous (non-traditional) letters in names. I prefer Isabella to be Isabella and not Ihzahbelllya!

:lol: see Phebie I can do, if you'd chosen Ffeebhie I'd have been all over it like a rash!

I have to admit I have to draw the line at Feebee's as well

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:53 pm

ginchyworld wrote:
beck wrote:

:lol: see Phebie I can do, if you'd chosen Ffeebhie I'd have been all over it like a rash!

so you wouldn't like me spelling Keshet (means Rainbow) as Qetiette!!??? (if i get round David i WILL have a little girl called Qetiette!!

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler