hf1

Teeth cleaning traumas

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Teeth cleaning traumas

Postby nic1 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:24 pm

Evie has always been a little s*d for her teeth being cleaned but getting worse rather than better! :roll: :roll:

We literally have to end up pinning her down for it usually. She will happily brush them herself and maybe let me take over alittle but then she sort of clamps her mouth around the brush so i can't move it and then that is usually when the battle begins! :x :shock: :roll: :roll:

I don't really think it's anything connected to her accident, as she was a monkey before it too. For those that don't know back in Sept. last year she had to have 3 top baby teeth removed after an accident.
Thinking of buying some stickers as an incentive thing, any other suggestions gratefully received!

TIA!

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:53 pm

a new 'pretty' toothbrush that she has either chosen or can add stickers or something to it so it makes it more 'hers!)??

I have heard about those fancy schmancy tooth brushing timer toys that can be set to play music or something for how ever many minutes to encourage them to keep brushing! (there's a Barney one :roll: )

Luckily Lucas isn;t too bad, although sometimes he can be a pain! I usualy attack him with 2 brushes, he has 1 and does 1 side of his mouth, I have 1 and do the other and then we swap! makes a game out of it aswell and seems to work well for us when he's being a pain!

jan x

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:01 pm

I posted not so long ago about Charlotte not liking her teeth cleaned. It has got better now. We brush them together, although it usually ends up that she steals my big toothbrush and I end up with her little diddy one!

Could it be she doesn't like the toothpaste. I say this because a little while ago we ran out of her baby toothpaste and a dentist friend had said we should use adult ones anyway for the flouride but Charlotte ended up rubbing her tongue on the towel in disgust! So we are back to her baby toothpaste :lol:

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:45 pm

She seems to like the toothpaste as she sucks it off when she does her teeth 1st!!! Seems to like it so don't think that is the problem!

I have tried alsorts, singing, making it fun and into a game, had her brush mine...well when i say brush mine i mean more her sticking my brush that far down my throat i nearly threw up!! :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :lol:

I may try some sort of sticker chart or similar!! :D Any other suggestions keep them coming!! :D

My avatar
WeeNotions
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby WeeNotions » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:52 pm

What about if you let me brush your teeth and don't make a fuss, and you can have 2 bedtime stories rather than one (William loves his bedtime stories). If she makes a fuss, stick to your guns and say only one then. The next day you try it again, hopefully she will have learn from the day before :wink:

If you do this it is VERY important to stick to your guns and only suggest what you are actually willing to do, and NOT do should she not keep her end of the bargain.

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:00 pm

WeeNotions wrote:What about if you let me brush your teeth and don't make a fuss, and you can have 2 bedtime stories rather than one (William loves his bedtime stories). If she makes a fuss, stick to your guns and say only one then. The next day you try it again, hopefully she will have learn from the day before :wink:

If you do this it is VERY important to stick to your guns and only suggest what you are actually willing to do, and NOT do should she not keep her end of the bargain.

Might try that one hun as she too loves stories, thanks Suzanne :D

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:38 pm

Unless she's at risk for some reason (you took antibiotics or antedepressants in pregnancy, or were particularly stressed or ill, or there's a family history of crap teeth) I'd back right off. Give her the toothbrush to play with in the bath, make games of it, but it's not a battle that I think is worth fighting unless there's a particular known risk.

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:41 pm

I want to tackle the problem really hence looking for advice!! Would rather she get her teeth looked after well from the beginning!!

Will try and look into even more fun ways than i already have to encourage her :D :D
Last edited by nic1 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:50 am

I think making it fun is definately the way to go Nic - with Evie being that bit older than Charlotte she will probably respond to rewards. What about Hannah's idea of the wall chart, you could put a chart in the bathroom and give her stickers each time she cleans her teeth and then a week of stickers gets something nice?

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler