hearing!

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

hearing!

Postby smilinglou » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:26 pm

We're waiting on an audiology appt for our 3 month little girl :(
I realised that she wasn't turning to us when we spoke to her, we have to position ourselves directly in front of her face to get her to see us then she smiles and grins away, she does go quiet to the hoover and I have seen her jump to loud bangs but only a couple of times, we took her to the GP and he did the clap test which she only responded too twice out of about 5 times, he said that she has partial hearing. She does 'talk' and smile and respond so surely she can hear something!
My brother who is training to be a doctor said that viral infections can effect the ears, she has had a bit of ear wax that I can see and she did have a cold and a tummy thing, in the last few days she has turned to us a few times, she's quite ahead for her age (she was overdue which I think makes a difference) so I know that she should be able to do these things compared to everything else if that makes sense, I know it's not right, even when I was pregnant I wondered if she could hear as she didnt respond to loud noises but I thought nothing of it as she passed the hearing test at birth!
She's made us worry from 8 weeks of pregnancy from bleeds to high bld pressure to hosp admitions to emergency ceasarian without labour! :roll: :shock: arghhh
my scary baby
I just hope she can hear at least something and that it might not be permanent! :( why does the nhs have to be so slow with appointments!

My avatar
Soozi
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: hearing!

Postby Soozi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:35 pm

we are in this waiting game as well with my nephew - he is 6 months old and has failed his hearing test :(

my sisters husband and his sister both have hearing issues so i guess it may be that little Noah will have issues too

i hope you get some good news when you have the next test :)

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:37 pm

LushTush wrote:we are in this waiting game as well with my nephew - he is 6 months old and has failed his hearing test :(

my sisters husband and his sister both have hearing issues so i guess it may be that little Noah will have issues too

i hope you get some good news when you have the next test :)

Oh bless him! Let's hope it's just a coincidence for you!
I hope so too!
hugs all round :hug:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:38 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug:

In the meantime do as much visual stuff as you can to stimulate her - and I know she's still very very young but start signing when you do things, she'll pick it up quicker when she's older so look up makaton for starters and things like babysign for milk, tired, nappy that kind of thing - she obviously won't start signing back yet but at least giving the input early she'll start signing back earlier than if you leave it until she's 6-10months for example...

Grace has glue-ear so has partial loss and doesn't always respond but she's super chatty and I'm hoping it's just viral...

FC you get the appointment quickly it's awful playing the waiting game isn't it... :(

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Velvetsteph wrote::hug: :hug: :hug:

In the meantime do as much visual stuff as you can to stimulate her - and I know she's still very very young but start signing when you do things, she'll pick it up quicker when she's older so look up makaton for starters and things like babysign for milk, tired, nappy that kind of thing - she obviously won't start signing back yet but at least giving the input early she'll start signing back earlier than if you leave it until she's 6-10months for example...

Grace has glue-ear so has partial loss and doesn't always respond but she's super chatty and I'm hoping it's just viral...

FC you get the appointment quickly it's awful playing the waiting game isn't it... :(

It is horrible, I will be phoning them tomo like the HV said to find out what's going on.
I will take that in mind about the signing, it makes sense to make things more face to face to help her understand...probably will turn out she can hear fine and she just thinks we are both mad ha ha
Does your little one stare elsewhere then when you talk to her she just continues to stare? My lo does that as if I'm not even there :(

I hope your lo gets better soon too, poor little ears x

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:17 pm

:( :hug: :hug: , hope you aren't kept waiting too long. x

My avatar
Soozi
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Soozi » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:03 pm

smilinglou wrote:
Velvetsteph wrote::hug: :hug: :hug:

It is horrible, I will be phoning them tomo like the HV said to find out what's going on.
I will take that in mind about the signing, it makes sense to make things more face to face to help her understand...probably will turn out she can hear fine and she just thinks we are both mad ha ha
Does your little one stare elsewhere then when you talk to her she just continues to stare? My lo does that as if I'm not even there :(

I hope your lo gets better soon too, poor little ears x

have you phoned them yet? any update?

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:08 pm

arghh :evil: i phoned them today and they said they had received nothing about a referal!
I phoned the GP's and was told that they had sent the referal on the 15th and that she would fax it again so typical of the NHS I will phone tomo to check they got the fax, we've got to wait another week now! :cry:

On a better note, I think she may be hearing a little better!

My avatar
Soozi
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Soozi » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:17 am

smilinglou wrote:arghh :evil: i phoned them today and they said they had received nothing about a referal!
I phoned the GP's and was told that they had sent the referal on the 15th and that she would fax it again so typical of the NHS I will phone tomo to check they got the fax, we've got to wait another week now! :cry:

On a better note, I think she may be hearing a little better!

im sorry they didnt get the referral - how come everything always goes missing in situations like this ?

but thats fab about her hearing a little better - i hope it turns out to be just because of the viruses shes had

xx

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler