hf1

Separation anxiety

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Separation anxiety

Postby lazylexis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:38 pm

Nathan is 10 and a half months and up until the last week or so would play in his playpen for 15 mins or so while i went and did something like put the oven on and start dinner/clean the bath etc.he was ok in his cot with toys and the tv on (his cot is in our room and i put c beebies on)while i grabbed a very quick shower.now he is crying whenever i put him down even before i leave the room.i was literally in the shower for 7 minutes this morning and he'd cried so hard he was sick.he becomes hysterical in the short amount of time it takes to go to the loo.i can't take him into the bathroom in london as it's split level,but i can in liverpool.
Things are really unsettled atm as we're spending half the week in liverpool and half in london and we move on 8th april.i start back work on 12th full time which i'm dreading.
He's is screaming when i put him in the highchair and buggy too but only for about 30 secs.same if i put him down on the mat to do his nappy.
So what can i do to try and help the situation?any tips ladies?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Separation anxiety

Postby megansmummy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:44 pm

:hug: :hug:

I bet its worse at the moment with all the upheaval of the move :( :hug: I hope it settles down for you hun, Kieren can be a little 'clingy' at the moment...infact come to think of it he has been more like it the last couple of weeks but if i leave him in the lounge and go into the kitchen (there is a baby gate on the lounge so i close that otherwise he gets up the stairs!!) then he starts crying but luckily he is easily distracted by Megan so that works well for us really...

:hug:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:49 pm

we dont have a playpen but if i ever need to do stuff izzy usually just hangs around my legs :hohoho: the only thing we did was give etra cuddles reasurrance really.I go out of the room and talk to her to show her im still there, and trying short periods away then coming back. My other tip is to wave bye before leaving rather than sneaking off.

oh and i usually stick her in the bottom of the shower with a couple of toys whilst im in :giggle:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks for the ideas so far.unfortunately neither house is baby proof atm and there's the dog to factor in too!shower is in the bath so not easy for him to be in there too.i'm hoping it's a phase that doesn't last too long!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:47 am

I would say it is definately a phase and probably he is feeling unsettled like you say. Hopefully once you are permanently settled and he gets in a more predictable routine it will settle down. :hug: because I know how exhausting it is when all they do is cry and you just cannot put them down

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:29 pm

for loo trips can you sling him on your back?
Not ideal obviously but it's a start ;)

Is there room for a playpen or travel=cot in the bathroom while you shower? Bit of a palaver to setup each time obviously but better than him screaminghimself sick!!
I tend to try and shower when the kids are asleep or DH is home though to be honest as though it is safe for them in our bathroom Grace has started to become interested in the loo now :roll:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:21 pm

:hug: Gracie has just started with this and it drive me nuts! I just constantly talk to her and let her know where I am and what I am doing which helps, it is just when we are downstairs though, upstairs when I am showering etc she is fine.

It will pass though, I promise

Return to Baby and Toddler