hf1

Childcare...

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Childcare...

Postby Fayesmum » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:35 pm

We're looking at Childcare for Faye starting this Autumn so I can study 3 days a week at College to finish my course that I'm already doing....

I can't decide between a childminder or nursery - I'm very unsure about a CM but I'm not sure why, I think it's because I'm leaving her with someone I don't know in their own home, they could do what they like (registered to the hilt or not) and I wouldn't know about it. Does anyone else feel like this? Or am I being completely mad :oops: And I've got it into my head that she would benefit far more with stimulation in a nursery setting but again not sure why :-?

Went to see one this afternoon and it was lovely. All the staff made a great fuss of her, even the ones who she won't be in contact with were interested in her and commenting on how pretty she was etc. After carrying her from room to room my back was starting to ache, so I put her down on the floor with the other children and she bum shuffled off to play with the others :lol: So again loads of comments about how confident she is :wine: They don't have a babywing and she isn't 2 until November so I've applied in writing to social services for them to consider our circumstances and allow her to go into the toddler room for 6 weeks before she is 2 and then she'll be in there from then on. The staff didn't see a problem with it, they were more concerned about the disruptiveness on Faye if she was placed with a CM for 6wks and then moved :-? And to be honest so are we.

What do others look for in a Nursery or Childminder?

x

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Childcare...

Postby LilMrsAverage » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:41 pm

I originally wanted Dex to go to a nursery - but they overbooked and I was left short! :shock:

in the end I had to last minute sort something out - when I visited my 'potluck' childminder I felt so comfortable with her that I went with her - Dexter seems to really like her -

I think that its down to how you feel when you visit the place/meet the CM,

not sure if thats much help!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:56 pm

wss, i think a huge amount of it is gut feeling and the nursery sounds great.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:57 pm

Annette wrote:wss, i think a huge amount of it is gut feeling and the nursery sounds great.

Yep I agree - go with your gut feeling...

I like the nursery as the girls get to play with kids their own age and there is never an issue with sickness or holiday cover...

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:12 am

I have a few friends who are child minders and a couple of them offered to save spaces for the girls when I told them I was looking into child care. Even though I know them and they are frinds of mine I turned them all down (graciously :wink: ) and the girls attend a lovely private day nursery for 2 days a week.

I have nothing against childminders at all, and I think that if I had to return to full time employment I would have looked towards a child minder then, but I felt that for the 2 days a week I prefer the idea of a nursery as it is more structured etc. To me a childminder would be more like a home from home and I didn't want that :oops:

Does that make any sense??

At the end of the day, like others have said, go with your instincts, there are no right or wrong decisions here

Jan x

My avatar
MaryMoon
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby MaryMoon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:31 am

I like others have said think you need to go with your gut instinct. I would just like to point out though (as a childminder) that we have to work to exactly the same guidelines as a nursery setting, we have to plan for each individual child, observing them and assessing them developmentally so that we can plan activities/play opportunities that will encourage them to reach their full potential.

Not saying that you should choose one over the other just don't think people realise that a childminder does exactly the same as a nursery just it is from home with fewer children and they will/should ensure that the take lo's to group settings such as soft play or toddler groups so that lo is learning ther social skills within groups of children too.

Hope you can find something that works for you :hug:

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Thank you, this is all great sound advice from everyone :wine: She is in a home from home environment at the minute on Mondays when I'm doing the first part of this course and she seems very happy.... but to me at the age she is (approaching 17 mnths) she still seems very much a baby and would be lost in a big nursery setting - come the end of the summer that may have changed. Though saying that I don't think she'd struggle at Nursery if she was there now, just how I feel.

Something else that worries me about baby number 2, what we do at 9 mnths when I need to return to work? We've been very fortunate with Faye that my p/t job has been working for the Co-op food shop and I do shifts that fit in around Dh but we couldnt afford childcare for 2 on combined wages so I'd have to return to Nursing :-?

Return to Baby and Toddler