Help please!!!

My avatar
mrssproggit
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Help please!!!

Postby mrssproggit » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi everyone! :idea:
Just wondering if anyone can help us out: lo has decided it's fun to pinch (and sometimes scratch) anyone who's holding her at any time she pleases! The most recent painful experience ended with her scratching open a wound from a few days ago which was only just starting to heal over :shock: :cry:
I'm sure I needn't point out that any baby's scratches and pinches are rather painful!! Just wondering if anyone else has any experience of their lo doing this and what they did to put an end to it??? I especially struggle when bfeeding her, as she uses the arm under mine (the one tucked under, iykwim) to pinch at exposed bits of skin - OUCH!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
We've tried telling her "no!" (or variants of) whenever she does it, but it doesn't seem to have any effect (apart from occasionally she'll just burst out crying, at which point I feel rotten for telling her off!! :( )
Please help us before dh and I are red raw!!! :hohoho:
Thanks ladies!!
xxx

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Help please!!!

Postby littlesez » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:25 pm

we never say no because she laughed at me when i tried.

i grabbed izzy's hand firmly and said stop with the sign fir stop too (like a traffic warden stop). then afterwards i showed her how i wanted her to be gentle. i used her hand to stroke me gently and said awwwwww. i also did it to her so she knew what gentle felt like again saying awwwww. we did this with the cat too as she was trying to bully him!

i repeated it over and over and now she is very very gentle with everyone. now all i have to do if she forgets is say and sign stop, then say awwwww and she knows

hth xxx

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:26 pm

We have problems with Faye thinking its funny to stick her fingers up Dh's nose, pull at his eyelids and twist his nose into many different shapes :shock: :giggle: She doesn't do it to anyone else and it doesn't help that he screams and makes funny noises which she finds hysterical so it reinforces that its a game to her :roll: We do the gentle thing as well, gentle stoking and going 'awwww gentle' she is getting better. We've found it works with the dog as well who was having her ears pulled and bashed over the head etc

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:37 pm

I tend to go with the hand holding and saying 'gentle' to Kace. It did seem to be more of a passing phase here, somewhere between about 7 and 10.5 months were the worse I think. She was particularly bad for pinching at the underneath bit of my arm when I was holding her, which was really quite painful. Prior to that she was always gentle and now the only real grabbing she does now is to pull my boob towards her mouth :oops: :giggle:
If she is pinching I just get hold of her hand, straighten out her fingers, as best I can :wink: and say 'ahhhhh gentle'. If she's doing it a lot when feeding, something I think they do to help the milk flow, I hold her hand and look in her eyes and say 'don't pinch mummy, there's a good girl'.
Of course there's the inevitable surprise pinches that make you go 'OUCH!!' and they just laugh and try it again :roll: A bit difficult at this age to try and go back and explain they hurt you and not to do it.

My avatar
mrssproggit
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mrssproggit » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Hmmm ... perhaps it's just a passing phase then? Will keep an eye on it and try the suggestions posted here too. Thanks for sharing your tips lovely mummies!!! :wine: :hug: :)

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:03 pm

Good luck :wink: if I say no she laughs and once I took it too far with my tone which made her cry :oops: :shock: She was distraught bless her, its not something that works for us and the word 'oww' also makes her giggle!

My avatar
babygrowbelly
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby babygrowbelly » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:05 pm

Caleb just laughs at me :roll:

Return to Baby and Toddler