hf1

fighting sleep

My avatar
Mock
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: fighting sleep

Postby Mock » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:51 pm

littlesez wrote:yes! but even more so, its like its between her teeth :shock: i'll go to the dentist to have a word. So we are still BF so not affecting that apart from gettng established was tough! I'm assuming no need to worry for other reasons
Thanks by the way x


It can cause a gap between the front teeth, pull the gum away from the teeth and cause speech problems. I asked the dentist at what sort of age would they anticipate any problems to start and he said that it wouldn't be a problem until the adult teeth came through.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: fighting sleep

Postby littlesez » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:56 pm

Ill ask dentist what he thinks too then. thanks again x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: fighting sleep

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:44 pm

littlesez wrote:So today i was just thinking all those latch probs early days :roll: Her frenulum (sp) starts from her teeth gap is that right? or should it be from further up in the gum?

That sounds exactly like Grace hers seems to start between her front teeth and she has a gap between them - she's not quite so co-operative when it comes to getting a picture though ;) :giggle:
Our dentist was quite rude when I brought it up - so our paediatrician has referred us...

Mock wrote:Not being able to fall asleep on her own isn't a problem. She's still just a baby. She'll learn to do it when she ready.
I disagree slightly in that if they can't/won't be helped to sleep by you then you do have a problem...
If we'd have been able to gently parent Isabelle to sleep every night I wouldn't have minded but the hours of screaming told a different story although with hindsight that was probably hidden medical issues...
With the experience and hindsight we now have we could have done it differently (and have with Grace who is SO different to Isabelle when it comes to sleep but is she or is that just our experience showing?)...

I don't think any kid really falls asleep 'on their own' though as whether it's being fed until alseep or sleepy, having a bottle, teddy, dummy, cuddles, routine of bath, story, drink etc/whatever it is still being helped to sleep if that makes sense - I think it's more a matter of finding what works for you, trusting your instincts and helping your child to go off to sleep happy and secure...
Does that make sense? :?


I would try to lay down with her in bed and make sure the room is dark and quiet, nurse her and then just lay and hold her until she eventually goes to sleep. She'll get used to it happening like this every night and it'll take less time each night.
This sounds perfect and if it works then definately do it!

If you are desperate to get a break and dinner etc then make sure you eat before you start the bedtime routine and finish things that can't wait until tomorrow so that if you fall asleep and stay there by mistake it's not a disaster...

My avatar
Mock
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: fighting sleep

Postby Mock » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:59 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:I disagree slightly in that if they can't/won't be helped to sleep by you then you do have a problem...
If we'd have been able to gently parent Isabelle to sleep every night I wouldn't have minded but the hours of screaming told a different story although with hindsight that was probably hidden medical issues...
With the experience and hindsight we now have we could have done it differently (and have with Grace who is SO different to Isabelle when it comes to sleep but is she or is that just our experience showing?)...

I don't think any kid really falls asleep 'on their own' though as whether it's being fed until alseep or sleepy, having a bottle, teddy, dummy, cuddles, routine of bath, story, drink etc/whatever it is still being helped to sleep if that makes sense - I think it's more a matter of finding what works for you, trusting your instincts and helping your child to go off to sleep happy and secure...
Does that make sense? :?


By 'falling asleep on their own' I mean 'alone'. As in, on their own, in a cot. I wasn't implying that a baby that has been nursed to sleep would automatically start sleeping without boob. I meant that the majority of parents think that there is some requirement of babies to magically be able to fall asleep alone in a dark room at any given time, and this isn't the case, and should never be forced upon a child.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: fighting sleep

Postby lazylexis » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:09 am

Nathan's lip tie thing (frenulum)is between his 2 top teeth and he has a 4mm gap between the teeth.from what i have read it's best to wait until adult teeth are through before getting it snipped if needed.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: fighting sleep

Postby littlesez » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:11 am

its so weird! last night rob calmed her right down, played in her room for a while, dressed her then turned lights off(we have a night light) he gave her a bottle of oat milk. She shouted when he left the room but that was it no tears.

she slept for 12 hours :shock: usually she wakes up a couple of times crying :( and then comes in our bed about 5am. Now Im not fussed about me waking up in the night to feed her, what bothers me is how upset she gets when she does wake up.

When i try and do bedtime she just wants boob so she s crawling all over me while im trying to get her ready, cue hysteria. What I might try is calming her with boob then putting her to bed. I think the key to her having a good nights sleep is her calmly going off to sleep. She then has a better day like today i can see she is less grumpy and so she will be able to nap. Its a whole big circle!

Thanks guys x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: fighting sleep

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:30 am

Mock wrote:By 'falling asleep on their own' I mean 'alone'. As in, on their own, in a cot.

Yes I see what you mean :) I agree about some parents believing babies should magically be able to fall asleep on their own after 9months in the womb :roll: :giggle:

littlesez wrote:I think the key to her having a good nights sleep is her calmly going off to sleep. She then has a better day like today i can see she is less grumpy and so she will be able to nap. Its a whole big circle!
I agree completely and that doesn't just apply to babies, older kids and adults too - I know I sleep much better having gone to bed calm and infact I can't fall asleep if I'm not calm...

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: fighting sleep

Postby Fayesmum » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:37 pm

littlesez wrote:its so weird! last night rob calmed her right down, played in her room for a while, dressed her then turned lights off(we have a night light) he gave her a bottle of oat milk. She shouted when he left the room but that was it no tears.

she slept for 12 hours :shock: usually she wakes up a couple of times crying :( and then comes in our bed about 5am. Now Im not fussed about me waking up in the night to feed her, what bothers me is how upset she gets when she does wake up.

When i try and do bedtime she just wants boob so she s crawling all over me while im trying to get her ready, cue hysteria. What I might try is calming her with boob then putting her to bed. I think the key to her having a good nights sleep is her calmly going off to sleep. She then has a better day like today i can see she is less grumpy and so she will be able to nap. Its a whole big circle!

Thanks guys x


This is so true.... we've found the more Faye sleeps in the day, the better she sleeps at night. And the better night sleep aids a longer nap at lunch time and generally happier Faye. From day one though she :bf: to sleep, I would put her down in the Moses basket with a dummy and now at 17 months I still :bf: before her sleeps she is generally awake when I leave the room and cuddling her pink bunny. Sometimes it takes longer to settle her and sometimes she can be up till 23.00hrs because she is overtired and grumpy and nothing we do seems to work like Steph was saying :-? Lying down with her on our bed in the dark often is the trick. I'm not a routine queen with her during the day but bedtime we are quite strict on and between 18.00-19.30 she is winding down for bed, with the same things happening at roughly the same time every night. The problem we have is during the night and getting her to sleep and stay in her bed :-?

And worringly she has a gap between her front teeth which I've never paid much attention too :shock:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: fighting sleep

Postby Annette » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:12 pm

perhaps she senses that you feel stressed about it and is reacting to that? Make sure you are really nice and calm too - they can really pick up on our emotions and even if you don't realise it you are probably feeling tense about the situation.

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler