hf1

Co sleeping

My avatar
jasmine b
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Co sleeping

Postby jasmine b » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:11 pm

we co sleep with fin and arranged a few things to put our minds at ease - we have a super king size bed, its very very low - maybe 30cm off the ground , i go to bed and breastfeed fin to sleep till about 8 then i switch on the camera that oh has sorted out for the bedroom so i can see him while in the lounge, and oh uses a duvet and i have a lighter blanket as i was worried about smothering him when he was newborn but now he pulls it over his own head sometimes :giggle: hes also in a gro bag so cant crawl faster than i can run up the stairs when i see him heading for the edge of the bed! its so nice to hear about others experiences of co sleeping as im so tired of hearing from my friends about our "odd" sleeping arrangements. oh and oh doesnt sleep in the bed with us if hes been on the beer/jack daniels :giggle:
oh and when he was really small i just put heavy pillows around the edge of the bed

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:38 pm

We've coslept with Lili most of her life, though she does have a travel cot in our room that I try to put her in when I can. She sits up with us in the evening and falls asleep on the sofa whenever she's ready (usually around 8:30 or 9, but sometimes much earlier and sometimes much later) and I carry her through to bed when I go. I won't :oops: because that's what works for us, and I'm happy with it :wink:. If she wakes up when I bring her in she'll insist on coming into bed with me, but if not I pop her in the travel cot and she sleeps there until she wakes up for a :bf:, then sleeps in the middle of the bed until morning. I've more or less got her down to just the one nighttime feed now; if she wakes more often I can usually get her to go back to sleep.

When she was smaller, on the odd occasions that I'd BF her to sleep in our bed I'd make sure she was well in toward the middle and put a pillow between her and the edge of the bed, but I much preferred to have her out here with us - I can relax a bit more because I don't have to worry about not hearing her crying if she does wake up. I also have always found that she wakes more and is harder to settle if she's in our room on her own rather than out here with us in the evening.

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:45 pm

zippie-purple-monkey wrote:My little man has started waking in the night & will only settle if he;s in bed next to me. What do ppl do about the pillow/covers? He's in a gowbag so I tuck the covers around me, arms out so I can be next to him iyswim.I worry about the duvet near him

Dex co slept inbetween me and the DH for about 5 months ish from around 4 month - 9 months and :oops: he just used to share our duvet......

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:54 pm

LilMrsAverage wrote:
zippie-purple-monkey wrote:My little man has started waking in the night & will only settle if he;s in bed next to me. What do ppl do about the pillow/covers? He's in a gowbag so I tuck the covers around me, arms out so I can be next to him iyswim.I worry about the duvet near him

Dex co slept inbetween me and the DH for about 5 months ish from around 4 month - 9 months and :oops: he just used to share our duvet......

Lili always did too - when she was tiny we had this little wedge-shaped pillow thing with bumpers on either side (sorry, impossible to describe :giggle:) so she was propped up a bit but couldn't roll off, then when she got too big for that we left a big space between our pillows, and now she sleeps with her head on on of our pillows. She's never been a wriggler (when she's alseep, at least!) so I never really worried about her ending up under the duvet or a pillow :oops:.

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:13 pm

Conan co-slept with us from birth, partly because i`d had a CS and i BF and so it was so much easier not getting up and down all night to feed etc.When he reached 6-7 months DH didnt want him in our bed anymore, DH gets up very early and he was waking us up at 5.30am to go to work and Conan was moving around to much and DH was not getting enough sleep.
The solution that works for us now is there is a 3/4 size bed in Conans bedroom, so he is put into his cot when he falls asleep about 8.30pm, and stays there until he wakes in the night looking for me, normally 1-2am and i take him into the bed in his room. It works really well for us , me and DH get some private time but we get to co sleep too. :D
When he was newborn he obviously wasnt moving around to much, the reason we put him in his cot for the first part of the night was we were worried about him falling out of bed/down the stairs. The bed in his room is in the corner of the room against the wall so i sleep on the outside now and we have never had any worries, he even knows now to get down from the bed feet first :D

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler