hf1

Was/is your newborn on a structured nap routine?

Was/is your newborn on a structured nap routine

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes : 21
My avatar
lilylover
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Was/is your newborn on a structured nap routine?

Postby lilylover » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:48 am

Just thought this would be interesting to hear what you all did/are doing. I taught Lily to go to sleep by herself using the pat/shush method when she was around eight weeks from the baby whisperer and have never looked back. Although I bf on demand I always followed the bw guidelines for the feed/play/sleep routine which worked wonders for us :!: It was a lot of hard work but well worth it. Is anyone else a freak for a routine too?
Sam...

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:57 am

I found that a strict routine didn't work with us when Hannah was born as were very spur of the moment people. So when Phebie arrived we had a play/feed/sleep routine but I didn't stick structurely to the hour with it though, and that really worked for us.

When they were new newborns I just followed them when they wanted to sleep I let them when they wanted to feed they did, I was very on demand if that makes sense :D

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:48 am

Couldn't really do a strict routine with Georgia as we had to see to the other girls too! no two days are ever the same :!: :D

It is much easier to follow a routine with your first baby, I did with Ella and found it really helped. She slept through 7-7 from being 3 weeks old!!!! Georgia still doesn't sleep through now but who's to say she wouldn't have been like this anyway :? :?:

My avatar
cherobanne
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby cherobanne » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:48 am

I voted no, I've been led by Matthew pretty much. I wanted him to be flexible to a certain extent anyway to allow us to be out and about, dr appts, classes etc.
He seems to have established his own nap and sleep routine now and it works well for us.

Joanne

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue May 01, 2007 2:13 pm

I voted yes as in I wouldn't keep him up any longer than 2 hours as apparently they get overtired then. With Josh it was very do what he wanted, much easier with the first where I tried to get Louis to fit in with the rest of the family iyswim!!

My avatar
karen71
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Was/is your newborn on a structured nap routine?

Postby karen71 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:52 pm

Hi I've never posted in this forum but thought that, as I'd voted in the poll, I may as well comment :) . My 4th baby is 12 weeks old and with all except the eldest I have followed the baby whisperer's routine for them. I only follow it losely though and if I feel like breastfeeding extra times or want to bed share or nurse them to sleep I do, but from about 3 days old they followed a 3 hour feed pattern with feed, change short time awake then back to bed. It just takes the guess work out of things a bit, when I had my first baby no one told me babies cry when they're tired so everytime my eldest DD cried, if she didn't need a nappy change I fed her - poor thing must have been full to the brim and riddled with indegestion constantly whereas with the others if they cried between feeds I knew it wasn't hunger but I could still feed them for comfort iykwim. The younger 3 have been much more contented and slept through from between a few days to a couple of weeks old in fact if you didn't get my DS back to sleep fairly quicly after a feed he would go into meltdown and not recover for hours! Sorry I'll stop waffling on now :)

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:56 am

I didn't but wish I had! It took ages to twig on that Jasmine was so whingy at weekends as DH and I sometimes forgot that she needed a nap, and she wasn't able to settle herself down, even when she was already playing in her cot :oops:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:49 am

I think it depends on the baby - Charlotte was always very much a nap anywhere when she needed to baby and could sleep through anything so we let her dictate her own routine. With Ben though, because of his reflux he found it very difficult to sleep and certainly couldn't fall asleep with noise and was easily startled awake, which was a huge problem with a 2 year old running around. So as soon as we got him on medication and he settled down - probably between 8 and 12 weeks, we started to put him in his cot to sleep and followed roughly the baby whisperer routine as he had no clue about a routine himself having never really slept. It really worked for him and was a great guide for us. He still has 2 naps a day and sleeps well at night (although that took alot longer to sort!).

As I say though, I think it depends on the baby and you have to find what is right for you.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:12 am

I voted yes, all 3 of ours settled into a routing very quick after coming home and I have always put them into their cots to nap and not kept them downstairs, well ofcourse there have been occasions when I looked round to find them passed out on the play mat on the floor especially Gracie. Even when Gracie was :bf: she got herself into a 4 hour routine and they have always gone to bed at 7/7:30 at night, it just works best for us. x

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler