Nightime nightmare :(

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Nightime nightmare :(

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:11 am

Sorry might be a bit long :roll:

We have always been reasonably lucky that Tyler is a fairly good sleeper - he isn't a 12 hours a night baby but he generally sleeps through the night from about 7 until 5.30-6ish without any disturbances. He occasionally wakes up for a drink of water but is easy to resettle and goes straight back to sleep.

However, the past few weeks he has been an absolute nightmare, both to get into bed at the start of the night and to keep in bed if he wakes up :( His bedtime routine has always been bath and teeth cleaned, pjs on, :bf: and then calmly into bed awake. Sometimes we have to stand in his room for a few minutes but he usually goes off to sleep fine.

Now the second we take him into his room he starts screaming and throwing himself around and kicking his legs. I have tried everything from just holding him tight to just putting him in his cot and trying to calm him down in there - it took me over an hour last night to get him in bed :( Same thing if he wakes up in the night - he is absolutely inconsolable, virtually impossible to hold because of the kicking and throwing himself. I spent over an hour in his room in the middle of the night, gave up and bought him into our bed but even in our bed he literally just threw himself around screaming for at least an hour before he finally fell asleep :( :(

I really don't know what to do with him - I treated it as if he was teething last night, gave him calpol and teething powders before bed and ibuprofen and teething powders in the night but it didn't seem to make much difference. I won't ever leave him to just cry but he is making it really hard to comfort him as he just won't let me or oh near.

Has anyone else ever experienced this or got any other suggestions as I am pulling my hair out and trying to deal with an overtired toddler during the day as a result?

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Nightime nightmare :(

Postby jan3182001 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:45 am

has he been okay in the day.

you described what a couple of mine did when they had bad ear infections - they seemed okay in day but at night were horrendous - it was only the day after they were able to tell me their ears were hurting and i took 'em to dr.

if there's no illness then persistence with the routine - it may be jsut that he's 'trying it on' - although on reading again i'd suspect ears

:hug: :hug:

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:51 am

jan3182001 wrote:has he been okay in the day.

you described what a couple of mine did when they had bad ear infections - they seemed okay in day but at night were horrendous - it was only the day after they were able to tell me their ears were hurting and i took 'em to dr.

if there's no illness then persistence with the routine - it may be just that he's 'trying it on' - although on reading again i'd suspect ears

:hug: :hug:

He is okish during the day - grumpy due to being tired from the bad night. He has been throwing himself around again this morning though, I tried to get him to have a nap and he threw himself around his cot and banged his head so I resorted to taking him for a walk to calm him down so he is asleep in his pushchair for now.

I did wonder about his ears - he is acting like he is in pain which is why I assumed teething, if he doesn't improve I might see if the doctor can check his ears to make sure :( I just wish he would let us comfort him but he seems to be worse if we touch or try and speak to him at all :(

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:53 pm

how's he been since he woke up from the nap?

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:41 pm

jan3182001 wrote:how's he been since he woke up from the nap?

He slept for 2 hours and woke up in a really good mood :) He has just fallen asleep in the car again so stuck him in his cot for a bit - he doesn't usually sleep this late in the day but he had such an early sleep earlier and he obviously needs it!

Fingers crossed for a better night!

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:32 pm

no advice but :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: hunnie. xxx

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:49 pm

Hope you have a better night tonight. I would agree that it may be his ears. We had this with Rowan and it turned out she had a raging ear infection - I felt awful. We'd been battling with her during the night for the best part of a week by this point. FC things calm down tonight. :hug:

Cathleen xx

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:52 pm

Thanks :) He went to bed happily tonight and straight to sleep which is the first time in about a week so hopefully whatever the problem was has now gone. If he is the same tonight then I will make a doctors appointment first thing tomorrow!

Return to Baby and Toddler