hf1

What do you give?

My avatar
mrssproggit
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

What do you give?

Postby mrssproggit » Sun May 02, 2010 6:22 pm

I'm currently :bf: Anoushka but am at the stage where I'm considering what to give her as a drink once she's past 12mo. I know you can give cow's milk as a drink once they're over 1 year, but again not too sure just how much to offer and how often? I guess I'm also thinking more for the first and last feeds of the day, when I know she likes the comfort of feeding off me. Also, I've been thinking for a while that I'm not producing enough milk for her :( and am considering if there are other options worth trying?
Sorry if this is a bit rambly! :oops:
Any and all advice most welcome!
Thanks ladies!
x

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: What do you give?

Postby becky1978 » Sun May 02, 2010 6:25 pm

Archie is 16 months now and still :bf: morning and night and sometimes in the day if he is cranky/tired/ill. I did start to use cows milk as a drink after 1 though, for instance if someone else is looking after him when I'm not there (this has only happened once or twice).

As for not producing enough, it's supply and demand so as long as you are offering it when LO wants it then you should have enough, it would only be when you start supplementing with something else that your supply would drop off.

Don't forget that the recommendation (600ml per day off the top of my head, jump in someone if I'm wrong) can come from other sources too ie yoghurts, cheese, milk used in cooking, on cereal etc.

HTH

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Sun May 02, 2010 6:29 pm

Max went on a sudden nursing strike at 11 months which resulted in my milk drying up and him being moved onto formula full-time. At 12 months I started to introduce more cows milk and now -at 15 months - he has more cows milk than formula. He has about 4 bottles a day still: breakfast, mid-morning, late afternoon and night time. Each time he has between 6-8oz and will offer him more if he finishes the bottle in one go. He also has access to water throughout the day too.

If you want to carry on :bf: then you could maybe introduce a bottle during the day and offer the breast first thing in the morning and for the bedtime feed. Before Max started his nursing strike this is what I was down to and it worked well for us.

Another option, if you want to carry on exclusively BFing you could try and pump more during the day to try and increase and maintain your milk supply.

There are a few people on here who have much more experience - and a few who have done :bf: counselling training - so I'm sure more advise will follow soon.

Hope you find a routine that works for you :D

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sun May 02, 2010 6:31 pm

I b/f Isaac until 13m/o when I offered him around 6/7oz of cows milk in a cup morning & night and continued to b/f during the day if he wanted it. He gradually stopped wanting b/m & from the on just 2 cup fulls of cows milk every day (& still does) :)

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun May 02, 2010 7:54 pm

i suppose it depends if you want to offer anything else. Izzy has water about 2 bottles spread out through the day. if your wondering if your supply is low then dropping feeds will affect your supply anyway. Izzy doesnt have any cow milk and has about 6 BF per day.

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rachel » Sun May 02, 2010 8:12 pm

See what your LO wants? I have tried cowsmilk with Evie, just to see if she would have it and she really didn't like it. She drinks water (not very much :oops: ) from a beaker throughout the day and with meals but I've found she prefers breastmilk. I suppose it depends on your LO is what I'm trying to say :D

My avatar
mrssproggit
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mrssproggit » Tue May 04, 2010 7:14 pm

A few thoughts - thanks ladies! We're not at the stage of giving cow's milk (or anything else!) for a drink as yet, but I just wanted to see what others did to get some ideas etc.
Thanks for all your advice! :widesmile: I may well end up back on this forum asking more questions on this very topic, as we seem to have a little madam when it comes to us wanting her to do anything we want her to!! :giggle:
xxx

Return to Baby and Toddler