hf1

Molluscum

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Molluscum

Postby Rae » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:10 am

Well the doctor saw the molluscum on Kayleigh's hands and arms and said we should just wait for it to go away of it's own accord. It isn't bothering her, so I'm not too worried, but I decided to look it up on the net, and it says it can take 12-18 months to clear :shock: You think the doctor should have mentioned it would take that long, because when she said it would clear I thought 2-3 months. Anyway I came across this advice on the net, and tempting as it is to squeeze it away, Kayleigh won't even let me cut her fingernails when she is awake (but I don't think I would be up for squeezing them all on someone so young)

Some people request treatment if the rash is unsightly
The most common treatment is to squeeze each molluscum between fingernails, or with forceps or tweezers. The aim is to squeeze out the central plug of each molluscum. This can be done by a doctor or nurse. However, a patient or parent of an affected child may prefer to do this themselves. There is a good chance that a molluscum will go within 2-4 weeks after being firmly squeezed.
If a you do try squeezing treatment at home:
Ideally, if you squeeze by using fingernails you should do it whist wearing rubber or latex gloves to avoid spread of the virus. Also, wash your hands before and after squeezing.
It is best to squeeze mollusca after a bath, when they are softer.
Limit to a few mollusca at any one time.
Wipe up carefully and throw away the white curd-like material that comes from the centre of each molluscum as it contains infective virus.
If you use forceps or tweezers then sterilise them afterwards by putting them in boiling water or antiseptic.

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Molluscum

Postby ericaj1 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:43 pm

I've never heard of molluscum before, so is it a virus that they catch from other children? Hope they do go sooner than the 12-18 months.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:54 pm

She has them between her fingers on one hand and on the inside of her arm near the elbow.
Since it is apparently relatively common, I figured someone else on here would have come across it before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molluscum_contagiosum

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:35 pm

Never heard of it before but totally understand about not being able to cut their finger nails (or toes nails for that matter) Mark did find the trick yesterday though. He sat her on his lap at his computer and put on In the Night Garden, she was so busy shouting "Daisy!" that he just got on with it without any trouble at all.

Hope it clears up soon.

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:04 pm

Taneli had moluscum and my doctor FROZE THEM OFFF.

DONT DO THAT!

it was unnecessary. very painful...and tbh he got more a few weeks later....i ignored those, and eventually they went of their own accord.

my sis used a herbal something, beggining with a Z which she says was fab. her daughter had loads and loads, and she just put a drop of this stuff on each one and they started to disappear. and her daughter has very very sensitive skin and excema, and this stuff didnot irritate it.

i gave Taneli ecinatea tablets to boost his system a little...i dont know if they did any good, but they certainly didn't do any harm!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:09 pm

Amy had molluscum when she was about 10 months old. It went away of its own accord within about 12 weeks. I was given the option of having them frozen off but declined as it wasn't really bothering her at all.

My avatar
BabyLongLegs
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby BabyLongLegs » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:10 pm

I have something homeopathic called Podophyllum, and it cleared both Daniel and Joel's up within a month.....
Homeopathy is essentially giving the body a little bit of what it already has, to boost the immune system into recognising there is something wrong, thus making it fight it.
Molloscum, warts and things like that are low lying viruses, and the body is usually so busy fighting one thing or another in littlies at that age, it misses it.

Give it a try.....

Love
Sarah xXx

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:05 pm

Both Georgia and Sophie have this. Georgia's are under her chin and she has let me squeeze all but one of them, Sophie has them behind her knees and they look quite inflamed. Our doctor also said just to leave them. Where is the best place to get the homeopathic stuff?

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:19 pm

https://www.helios.co.uk/cgi-bin/store.cgi?action=search&category=Homoeopathic+Remedy+P will take you to a list of remedies, you need to buy two pots of soft pillules to meet their minimum order, belladonna is a good one to have around. :)

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler