hf1

help needed with 7 month baby and wind problems

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

help needed with 7 month baby and wind problems

Postby Miss_Purple » Mon May 17, 2010 7:21 am

DD has been an excellent sleeper, despite being breastfed since birth she was going 12 hours a night, every night, like clockwork from 11 weeks old. When she was about 4.5 months old she started to wake occasionally, but we thought it was the classic growth spurt so just fed her back to sleep, and it seemed to get better again. When she started solids at 6 months we had a few nights where she was up a bit, but figured it was teething or her body getting used to the solids.

She's now 7.5 months, and it seems to have become a regular thing that after going to bed at 7-7.30pm she will wake at least twice, sometimes 4 or 5 times, between about 8.30 and 11.30 (after that she will normally sleep through to 7am ok).

I have tried everything I can think of - feeding her back to sleep, rocking her, singing to her etc.

It's like she's not really awake (her eyes are closed most of the time) and she's just clawing at us and trying to get out of our arms, but if we put her down then she cries even harder. Often she will burp or fart while we are holding her, and that seems to ease the problem (likewise if I feed her that normally settles her, although sometimes only for about 20mins before she wakes up again).

It feels to me like she has wind or a tummy ache or something - rubbing her tummy quite firmly seems to help and that sometimes gets her back to sleep, and being held upright and bounced helps too (which I guess releases the gas?).

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for helping alleviate this for her? She's 7.5 months old and I really thought that we wouldn't be having problems with wind now (she used to take ages to burp as a newborn, and would sometimes wake up and be awake for a while due to wind when she was only a few weeks old). Is it just due to the solids or could there be anything else?

A typical day for her foodwise is as follows:

7am breast (big feed)
8am breakfast (oats, cows milk, apple, raisins)
11am breast (small feed)
12.30pm lunch - cheese, ham, bread, cucumber, or homemade babyfood, yoghurt
2.30pm breast (small feed)
5pm tea - as for lunch, fruit pot
7pm breast (big feed)

Should I be giving snacks now? could it be that she's eating too much at meal times (she loves her food!)? It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I give her a formula bottle or a breast feed at bed time, or whether she ate tea at 5pm or 6pm.

She has water from a Tommee Tippee sippy cup with her meals (the 4mth one with no valve) and no other drinks.

I wish I knew what was causing it, it's driving me nuts and she must be worn out poor thing (I am!)

Any suggestions or advice please?

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: help needed with 7 month baby and wind problems

Postby monsterm » Mon May 17, 2010 9:56 am

Amelie has been having problems going to the toilet recently & I think it is because her body is getting used to solids. She only started on solids at just over 7 months & only having 2-3 meals a day in the last couple of weeks.

We've increased her fibre intake. Dried apricots are great & she loves them.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Mon May 17, 2010 10:02 am

Riley went through a really bad gas stage. So we used to do the bicycle thing with her legs before she went to bed. also a friend swore by gripewater.

My avatar
peachy.moo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby peachy.moo » Mon May 17, 2010 10:27 am

Don't know if it would help, but seemed to help Elsie, we used to add an ounce of camomile tea to her 6oz bottle (so 1 oz tea, 5oz water)- did seem to help with the wind & she started to sleep better....

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Mon May 17, 2010 11:10 am

thanks guys, will try those. She does love dried apricots, and I make an Annabel Karmel recipe with chicken and dried apricots that she loves. We don't really have any problem with pooing, plenty of it and always soft, and I don't even really notice bad gas during the day for her, it's just those few hours between bedtime and 11pm that we seem to always be getting the problems. She is literally fast asleep then suddenly just screams and starts crying :cry:

I gave her some infacol last night but she still woke up again later on, although only once. I gave her gripe water once when she was a little baby and she was sick everywhere so I'm a bit scared to try it again.

I wonder whether her big cloth bum at night makes it harder for her to move around and release the wind? We use grobags for her to sleep in, but maybe she'd be better with a blanket instead?

My avatar
banana
Clothie
Clothie

Postby banana » Fri May 28, 2010 1:05 pm

She may have food intolerances. We had terrible trouble with ds and his sleep after introducing solids and exactly the same kind of problems. He would he throwing himself around like in pain when held and would eventually fart. After a time he developed runny poo and sometimes very sick too so watch out for this.

We had to exclude diary, gluten and lots of soft fruits. It was just trial and error elimination until we hit on these things causing the problems. Aparently some babies just have immature guts.

Ds problems lasted from 8 mths till 21 mths. He is now 2 yrs 4 mths and can now tolerate everything.

Hope this helps. I took ds to gp who was very helpful. Also we took him to a homeopath that really seemed to sort him out and gave us things to give him when he was bad at night. We also brought some charcol based homeopath medicine over internet which is used in us called colic calm which was also fantastic.

Good luck. Its tough but does pass.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri May 28, 2010 1:13 pm

I'm going to say food intolerances too - there's a lot of dairy in that list and for a baby not used to dairy (e.g. breastfed) it can take the system quite a while to get used to it especially at this young age.

I'd ease off on the dairy and any 'gassy' vegetables such as sweet potato and butternut squash for now - also watch how much wheat you give.
Another one to exclude is acidic fruits and veg e.g. strawbs, tomatoes, oranges, blackberries

Also that's quite a lot of meals for a young baby and it could just be her body getting used to having so much solid food at this age when her system is more adjusted to dealing with a mainly liquid diet.
Grace didn't really eat much solids until she was almost a year...

I personally would rather give gripe water than infacol...

I find gro-bag brilliant as Grace moves around so much that she gets cold as she kicks off blankets... Grace farts away quite happily with a night nappy on though :lol:

It could also be that she is cold as that will cause Grace to scream randomly in her sleep too!

It could be a growth spurt, it could also be teething...

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri May 28, 2010 1:16 pm

I agree with velvetsteph.

Remember that until she's one between 75% and 90% of her calories should come from breastmilk. Food is just for fun, not for nutrition at this stage.

Return to Baby and Toddler