hf1

Struggling

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Struggling

Postby Fayesmum » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:15 pm

I'm really finding it tough with Faye today and other random days :-? She wants stuff and I don't always know what it is... she just points at things e.g. the bookcase, so I pull a couple of books off and shes still pointing and then she starts whinging :-? And its been the same with everything so far today

How do I get through this stage with my sanity intact? :shock: She gets so cross with herself and me :(

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Struggling

Postby Annette » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:19 pm

I know exactly what you mean. If Ben is pointing then I usually pick him up so he can touch whatever it is he is after, otherwise I am taking things off the shelf going "this?" and him going "no!" all day.

I am also finding that he can now understand when I tell him to calm down and take a deep breath. He seems to get himself all worked up and I have no idea what he wants so I tell him gently to calm down and he stops and looks at me and I ask him what he wants and he then is able to express himself better.

Doesn't always work though :roll:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:38 pm

:hug: I tend to do the same as Annette & pick Isaac up so that he can point. This also often distracts him from what he actually wanted in the 1st place because he can see something else when I lift him :roll: :giggle:

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:50 pm

Isaac and Faye are roughly the same age.... she isn't talking yet and I think thats half the problem :-?

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:18 pm

Fayesmum wrote:Isaac and Faye are roughly the same age.... she isn't talking yet and I think thats half the problem :-?

Quite possibly - Isaac says that, there & up when he wants to be lifted to see something. Lots of LO's get soooooo frustrated when trying to communicate because they can't talk. Distraction is always good to detract from what may be causing the problem - again, sometimes it works, others it does'nt :roll:

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Dans the same, the only food word he can say is apple so everything food wise is an apple, very confusing for me!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:39 pm

Have you tried doing some baby signing with her? Make it up if you don't know the sign (but be consistent) and then she can tell you what she wants even if she doesn't talk... :hug:

Let me know if you want to know more - I posted quite a bit about it on a thread the other day - but we did a little with Isabelle and from that have been more confident doing it with Grace and she has an amazing vocabulary both signs and words for a 14month old - how much of that is due to the signing, well who knows... But she is pretty good at telling us what she wants, and even tells us things she remembers, like if we pass somewhere we saw a cat even if there's no cat there she'll say&sign cat to tell us she remembers the cat or ask us where the cat is...

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:Have you tried doing some baby signing with her? Make it up if you don't know the sign (but be consistent) and then she can tell you what she wants even if she doesn't talk... :hug:

Let me know if you want to know more - I posted quite a bit about it on a thread the other day - but we did a little with Isabelle and from that have been more confident doing it with Grace and she has an amazing vocabulary both signs and words for a 14month old - how much of that is due to the signing, well who knows... But she is pretty good at telling us what she wants, and even tells us things she remembers, like if we pass somewhere we saw a cat even if there's no cat there she'll say&sign cat to tell us she remembers the cat or ask us where the cat is...

Wow thats really impressive! I'm interested in baby sign but we've had no class until recently so I'm worried she'll be too old now, thought going to a group would be better for both of us than trying to pick it up out of a book. Definitely doing it next time round though :giggle:

It's not always hard work, some things she can be really clear about :hohoho:

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:36 pm

I'm another one who would advise baby sign, they learn things so quickly at the moment that I don't think it's too late to start. Oli is learning more and more signs everyday. Currently working on up and down!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler