hf1

Weight - should I worry?

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Weight - should I worry?

Postby tiyuricc » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:53 pm

I think I'm being over anxious, just need reassurance.

DD was big at birth (4.2kg / 9lb4oz), over the 75th percentile. Weight at 6 weeks was 4.8kg, again above 75th percentile. Today at 13 weeks she's 5.5kg and well below the 50th. That means she's put on only 700g in 7 weeks (1.5lb i think that is).

HV was next to useless - she said it was because she's long. Which she is, but being longer surely means she should be heavier... we weren't looking at weight per length, it was weight per age. Her length has only been measured at 6 weeks.

She seems to be feeding well, but throws up a lot. Multiple times per day, virtually every feed.

Should I be worried?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Weight - should I worry?

Postby flutterby » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:59 pm

I wouldnt worry if she's happy and gaining weight!

DD was born on the 50th centile by 6 months she was around the 0.4th centile, she's just small, that's where she belongs, she was finding her weight, just because she was big born doesn't mean she's meant to be big in the long run ;)

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:03 pm

She's fine, don't worry
Gracie was and still is very slow to gain weight, she only ever put on a few oz's a week and she is perfectly healthy x

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:17 pm

tiyuricc wrote:I think I'm being over anxious, just need reassurance.

DD was big at birth (4.2kg / 9lb4oz), over the 75th percentile. Weight at 6 weeks was 4.8kg, again above 75th percentile. Today at 13 weeks she's 5.5kg and well below the 50th. That means she's put on only 700g in 7 weeks (1.5lb i think that is).

HV was next to useless - she said it was because she's long. Which she is, but being longer surely means she should be heavier... we weren't looking at weight per length, it was weight per age. Her length has only been measured at 6 weeks.

She seems to be feeding well, but throws up a lot. Multiple times per day, virtually every feed.

Should I be worried?

Okay, I've just checked the UK-WHO chart for girls. Ignore her birth weight, only weight from 2 weeks should be recorded. Her weight at 6 weeks is exactly on the 75th centile and at 13 weeks is exacly on the 50th centile. Anywhere on the chart is normal and HPs are trained to disregard any fluctuation in weight unless it is a drop of more than 2 centiles (she is nowhere near that) and the baby is actually losing weight as well (which she is not) at which point they are expected to look at length and development, if all is well then there is no cause for concern. Your HV is right. :shock: Never thought I'd say that. :giggle:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:18 pm

:giggle:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:20 pm

nappynutter wrote: Your HV is right. :shock: Never thought I'd say that. :giggle:

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks for that one, I have never believed a word from a health visitor, hence my distrusting her saying not to worry... usually it's the opposite though with them saying worry when there's no need.

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:12 pm

no i would my DS was the same as yours. he agined a pound a week and was on the 90th and now at a year old he is on the 9th. he had really bad reflux and colic but he eat really well but dosen't gain much weight but the HV are happy as he is really active. i hope that helps :hug:

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:26 pm

nappynutter wrote:Your HV is right. :shock: Never thought I'd say that. :giggle:

I believe it is quite common anyway for babies who were big at birth to 'catch down' towards the average weight. I wouldn't be worried about your dd, she sounds perfectly healthy to me :D

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler