hf1

Is this normal for a toddler's imagination?

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Is this normal for a toddler's imagination?

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:26 pm

Its been difficult getting Molly down for her sleeps lately. We start getting her ready for bed at about 7pm, but its usually after 9pm or later that she finally sleeps. She is genuinely tired at about 7pm, but then she "wakes up" once she's in bed, starts to play, then calls me up at least a dozen times for one reason or another.

Last night though, I heard her crying in her room, then a minute later she came out screaming and really upset. She was shaking and sobbing and wouldn't go back in her room. Once we'd calmed her down, she said she'd been drawing on her blackboard, and pointed to a scribble on it, saying it scared her :-? I asked was it not a nice picture, and she said no, its a really bad picture and could I make it go away? I wiped it off (she wouldnt go near it) and then she asked me to draw her a good picture. We drew some of her favourite things, but when it came time to get back into bed, she wouldn't get in then started asking for other stuff, and for me to lie down beside her. I could only lie there for a few mins as Daragh needed a feed, but I felt bad leaving her because she was so distressed :(

She had really freaked herself just by scibbling...should I be concerned or is all toddler imagination this crazy?!

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Is this normal for a toddler's imagination?

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:06 pm

hmmm im not sure. dawn does have quite an imagination on her though, so tis possible.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Martha can scare herself silly if she is in the mood. I would say normal, but also possibly done for a bit of attention if you were busy elsewhere? And then they talk themselves into actually being totally upset IYKWIM

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:41 pm

yup, littlees can really over think and scare the crap out of themselves.
i first learnt this when i told taneli off for doing something dangerous and asked him 'what do you think would happen if tyou continued to do this?' after i explained what he was doing (i think it may he been when he put a cushion on Zacharia's face to stop him singing a song again and again... but it could have been putting a plastic bag over his own head or any number of things ;)) and after thinking for a bit he just burst into tears and was inconsolable for a while...which while wasnt my attention, at least he understood the seriousness of what he had nearly done.

i asked him to explain to me what made him sad and he explained so many far reaching ramifications of the situation that i was amazed how much he had thought in such a short space of time.... so never underestimate a toddlers imagination!!!!

also, a lesson i learned when rebecca was born. I had awful separation anxiety when she was upstairs and i was down stairs and post c section i was slow to get up the stairs and my mind would just whirr with all the awful things that could have happened. once you are a little anxious anyway, it doesnt take much to scare t he crap out of yourself, even as an adult

My avatar
lucylou0417
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby lucylou0417 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:19 pm

Aww my heart goes out. My eldest thinks too much adn gets himself worries (more than scared but sometimes scared too) quite often and he is 5. My youngest was running around saying there was a hungry monkey chasing him one minute he was laughing the next he was crying his wee heart out - he does it quite often actually, he pretends there is something chasing after him then its like he freaks himself out too much :-? I do know my 2 have very over active imaginations - over active might be the wrong word but cant think of any other way to descirbe it.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:55 pm

Awww to the little kiddies scaring themselves :giggle: Thanks ladies, I'll not worry so much myself next time she creates a random scary idea! Now that I think about it, before we moved house we had a "monkey" that lived in our bookcase and Molly was terrified of it and often cried, especially if she was left in the room by herself. She was only seeing the monkey in her imagination, but it didn't "come with us" when we moved, thank goodness!

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:55 pm

If she wakes a lot like that then it is probably to get your attention, did she have actual tears? Bedtime imagination can be quite crazy!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:10 pm

smilinglou wrote:If she wakes a lot like that then it is probably to get your attention, did she have actual tears? Bedtime imagination can be quite crazy!

From the sounds of her post it wasn't attention seeking behaviour...

Return to Baby and Toddler