hf1

Sleep! Any ideas

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Sleep! Any ideas

Postby smilinglou » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:54 pm

My girl, nearly 6 months, has had a lot of developmental firsts recently in one go, she wakes every 3 hours, sometimes wide awake in the night, we're all verrrry tired over here, possibly teething again. The night before her 3rd set of jabs she slept 5 hours, since then it's every 3 hrs again :( any tips? :coffee:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Sleep! Any ideas

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:16 am

Every 3 hours is pretty good for a 6month old to be honest! During growth spurts babies often wake every 1.5 hours and babies need to wake and feed frequently at this age.

It does get better though...

What time does she go to bed and what time do you go to bed?

If you're really tired the best answer is to go to bed when she does for a few days ;) Seriously...

I was complaining to my HV once how tired I was and she asked when I went to bed and I said 11.30 :oops: she almost PMSL at me and told me no later than 9.30 :giggle:
That doesn't happen very often but if I'm tired I do get an early night especially if I know that Grace will be awake a lot - why couldn't I have learnt that lesson with Isabelle :giggle:

I know it's hard when you want some time to yourself but when you're less tired you'll deal with the wakings easier...

Also things like - is she too hot, too cold, wet nappy... All these affect Grace's sleep... If she's even a little too cold she'll wake every 45mins :shock: :x and she won't sleep at all if she's too warm!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:35 am

WSS!i tend to go to bed no later than 10 and earlier if i'm tired.nathan's been waking every 2 hours or so the last few nights so you have my sympathy!teeth with him atm i think although i think he was a bit warm last night too.it will get better!

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:39 am

Velvetsteph wrote:Every 3 hours is pretty good for a 6month old to be honest! During growth spurts babies often wake every 1.5 hours and babies need to wake and feed frequently at this age.

It does get better though...

This.

Also, vaccines cause a dip in blood glucose which can last up to 21 days (peak is 14 days) post vaccination. Regular waking and feeding during the night helps to keep their blood glucose at a safe level.

Co-sleeping can really help with dealing with the increased feeds and also lets you keep a better eye on them generally.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:41 am

nappynutter wrote:Also, vaccines cause a dip in blood glucose which can last up to 21 days (peak is 14 days) post vaccination.

that's interesting...

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:58 am

I also say that that's not bad for a 6 m/o - prob not what you want to hear :hug:

Does she feed when she wakes? How long does she take to re-settle? DS1 slept TTN at around 8 m/o & DS2 at around 11 m/o so night wakings do vary greatly from child to child x

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:06 pm

Steph you always have loads of good points, you'd think the Mummy's bedtime thing would be obvious! I'm terrible with going to bed, I've always been a night owl and since working shifts sometimes 2am can be normal :oops: just writing it makes me realise how bad that is, but normally it's about midnight, I tend to think it's nice sitting watching TV with the hubby or being on here :lol: so I stay up :roll:
I didnt know every 3 hours was normal, she was like that when she was a couple of months, and the blood sugar thing is very interesting.
She goes to bed between 7 and 8 with her change, massage, feed routine, although recently she's not been happy with the massage so fed her before tonight on one side then massage then fed both sides after, she has a couple of naps in the day for about half hour each.
She feeds everytime she wakes and sometimes stays quite awake after, in the morning I'm so out of it she comes into bed and does sleep better but at night I want to get really comfy and just can't when she's there. The thing is last night she woke up twice in a couple of hours which was purely down to me going swimming for an hour (she just knows I've left the house) and had a massive feed, then hour later another massive feed, it's amazing how the milk is so easily digested that they can do that.
So I take it when she's on three meals a day it doesn't change this? Dh said we could try not feeding when she wakes at one point and seeing if she will just settle with him soothing her as he thinks maybe she just likes the closeness, obviously not totally refusing to feed her especially with the glucose thing :-?

Return to Baby and Toddler