hf1

Advice Needed ASAP

My avatar
helenNt
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Advice Needed ASAP

Postby helenNt » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:27 pm

Well yesterday at nap time Connor refused to go down think it was due to the heat but he ended up climbing out of his cot and falling (first time he has done this). Decided at nap time today to take the side of the cot off. But couldn't get him to stay in his cot. Anybody got any suggestions as to how best to deal with this.

Many Thanks

Helen

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Advice Needed ASAP

Postby northernruth » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:32 pm

All I can suggest is just keep puttng him back in relentlessly until he gets the idea.........

How old is he? Possibly wanting to drop the nap?

My avatar
ktinkley
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ktinkley » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:33 pm

We had to deal with this at 11/2 for ds as he was climbing out of his cot and his room was right at the top of the stairs, so it was vital that he didn't keep wandering.....

I sat outside his bedroom door for about 3 nights, everytime he came out of the door, I would tell him he had to stay in his bedroom at nighttime, and then say 'now I have to shut the door for a minute - I would shut the door for 10sec (he really hated it) and then open it again.

I didn't try to make him stay in bed, just in the room - he didn't have any toys in there at that point, so it wasn't like he could start playing - eventually he started to go back to bed when he saw me get up and finally he decided to stay in bed - it took three nights before he would do it from first going to bed, but we never had any problems with him wandering around.

It felt a bit harsh, but he could already open the stair gate, so that wasn't an option :roll:

hope that gives you some ideas at least :D

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:34 pm

:hug: How old is Connor? DS1 climbed out of his cot once when refusing a nap & never did it again. Think he was around 18 m/o or a bit younger. Could be just a one off? When he made the transition to a big boy bed, he went in no trouble at night from the start but took a further 2 weeks until he napped in there as he got so excited and thought we were playing a fab game :roll: :giggle: . No problems there after though x

My avatar
helenNt
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby helenNt » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:05 pm

He is 23 months so I think it is time we do the move. Not sure about dropping the nap. It can be hard with him to tell if he needs the sleep or not as he will fight going to sleep, never fallen asleep in a highchair and no longer sleeps in his buggy even if it is naptime. But mostly if you put him in his cot he will fall asleep for 2-3 hrs. Sometimes longer.

Tried sitting outside with a book and kept sending him back in also tried placing him back in his bed but that just lead to him fighting with me whenever I tried to lay him down. Should I lie him down or just put him on the bed?

My avatar
ktinkley
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ktinkley » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:07 pm

I just put back on the bed - no point trying to make them lay down if they don't want to.

And I didn't say go to sleep - I just said, stay in the room.

ie. something that was actually achievable for him - even if he didn't like it :giggle:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:56 pm

If he continues to climb out, you may have to move him to a bed for safety reasons. DS1 napped for 1.5 - 2hrs until he
was 3. I would take him up & tell him to climb into bed, read a SHORT nap-time story then leave the room. Minimal fuss worked with him - if I stayed to try to get him to nap / sleep, he would play up. If he knew I was outside, he would play up so I would stay out of sight at the bottom of the stairs to see if I could hear him.

I did try a stair gate at his bedroom door but he hated it (as did I) so took it down & he was much better because he didn't feel penned in.

Hope you get things sorted soon :hug:

Return to Baby and Toddler