Have i done the right thing or the wrong thing? UPDATED PG3

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Have i done the right thing or the wrong thing? UPDATED PG3

Postby 123princesssammie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Evenings ladies :idea:

Just wanted to ask you opinions on something i have done tonight with alesha as not sure if it was the correct way of approaching things or not

for over 2 weeks i have been struggling to get alesha (19months) to go to bed (she is in a toddler bed) and stay in bed without getting up and playing, normal rountine has been followed so she is in bed at 7pm, most nights she is still up playing come 9pm even as late as 10pm, this then means a later morning, later nap and then isnt tired for bed (kinda a vicious cycle atm)

i have tried everything i can think of, stern voice, continulsly putting her bed back to bed without saying anything/eye contact anytime i here her get out if makes no difference,

Tonight i had just had enough as she was still wide awake messing around at 10pm, yet was exhausted when i put her too bed originally at 7pm, soo i went and got one of the cot sides(its a cotbed thing so is adaptable) and put the side up(other side of bed is next to wall anyway) she looked at me quite happy, and within 15mins was sound asleep with myself only having to go in once to tell her to lay down,

should i have done this? i feel quilty for soem reason, she hasnt been in a "cot" for about 8months
should i leave the side up for a while to let her body clock get re-adjusted to going to sleep at 7pm?

( i called my mum for some advice and was very very shocked at her reply, basically saying if she got up tell her to lay down and smack her leg enough for it too sting so she cried :evil: :shock: :evil: :shock: and to continue to so this till she fell asleep then after a few nights she would get the hint, am still shocked at my mums repsonse and can safely say alesha will never be left in her care(hasnt done so far anyway) and i will not be taking her "advice" x
Last edited by 123princesssammie on Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Have i done the right thing or the wrong thing?

Postby Annette » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:41 pm

i think you know that what you have done is far better than the alternative method! I think you did the right thing :hug:

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:44 pm

I definitely think you've done the right thing. Finn's still behind bars and will be for the forseeable future as I know he'll be a monkey once it's converted to a bed!

ETA have just read the last bit of your post and am :shock:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:44 pm

:shock: at your Mum.
I think what you did was fine, no reason to feel bad at all.
Gracie has a travel stair gate at her door, if she knows it is there she goes right to sleep but like tonight when i forgot to put it up she got up. We take it off before we go to bed so she can toddle through when she wakes up, also she has no toys in her room/bed to play with x

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:46 pm

It sounds like she might be going through a bit of regression, has she been upset by something or has anything else in her routine changed recently, or maybe just a stage she is going through? She might need the extra security of being back in a 'cot' to help her relax & go to sleep, you didn't do anything wrong, if she is sleeping happily with it then that's great, i'd let her have it for a while & get her sleep patterns to readjust.

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:50 pm

I too am shocked at your mums response!
I think you did the right thing. She calmly went to sleep on her own,I see nothing 'wrong' about that. Nathan has a bed guard and a stairgate. He would be all over the place if he didn't have these (plus end up on the floor most of the night!).

My avatar
mrssproggit
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mrssproggit » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:50 pm

:hug: for you hun, I do think you did the right thing. But :shock: to your mum's suggestion!!!

I know what you mean too about not leaving lo's in the care of your parents - both ours do have funny ways of doing things and both are opposite extremes of each other (my mum is very "gentle", a pushover if you like, whereas mil believes in the school of "tough love" and "showing them who's boss") :evil:

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:51 pm

Aw, she's only a baby still. If she settles better in the cot I'd stick with it for a bit longer.

My great granny once told my mum to smack me as a baby so I would cry myself to sleep just because I was lying in bed singing to myself :evil: My mum was shocked and didn't do it though.

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:55 pm

Thanks ladies glad to know i wasnt being hasty and did the wrong thing, being a first time mum i have a habit of doubting myself at times :roll:

still angry at my mum and think i will be bringing this up next time i see her

and zoey, thinking about it maybe it could be a regression thing (although she isnt getting upset just gets up and plays) she has been a few changes in the last fortnight, i have had to stop access with her dad due to issues and this is now going through the courts and she isnt seeing him in the meantime and i have also met a new partner myself so she sees him around the flat on occasions (bad timing i know but i guess you cant help these things),

so if its a regression thing, anything else i should look out for? xx

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler