hf1

Introducing dairy again? UPDATED :o(

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Introducing dairy again? UPDATED :o(

Postby megansmummy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:42 am

The dietician asked us to attempt to re-introduce kieren to dairy now that he has been dairy free for 6 months, cutting out dairy made an huge instant difference to him for anyone that didnt see my posts at the time. She asked me to pick a time when he was sleeping well, was well in himself etc so that we could see if it effected him... He has actually been sleeping through for a week now which he has never done before :wine:

So wednesday morning I gave him a piece of toast with flora on it (felt sooooo wrong), he ate it and had no side effects at all from it :widesmile:

yesterday he had some of my rice crispies with cows milk on and again no side effetcs at all...

So this morning i gave him a bowl of rice crispies of his own with cows milk on...

So my question is...where do i go from here? has anyone re-introduced dairy? how did you do it? I dont know wether to introduce a bit every day and build it up from there?

I have been trying to get through to the dietician for the last 2 days at the hospital and she hasnt got back to me...
Last edited by megansmummy on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Introducing dairy again?

Postby freckle » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:49 am

Sorry not sure about reintroducing as we're not there yet but :wine: :wine: :wine: that he has been fine with the dairy so far!! Hope it means he's over his allergy!! :wine:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks Bron, i really hope this is the start!! :mrgreen:

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:52 am

I wouldn't give him lots all in one go. I'd actually leave him a day or two without now as it can take upto 3 days for food to take an effect, at least that's what I was told when I had my wheat intolerance test :wink: I'd then go for trying him with something different, say cheese. Then once he's fine with it just give him one portion of dairy a day to make sure his system is tolerating it :)

:wine: :wine: to it not effecting him so far though, that's a good sign.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:31 am

Do it slowly! AFAIK It can take a week or so for symptoms to appear so davina's suggestion is a good one I think.

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:37 am

Just a thought - it could be worth keeping a food diary? I know as others have said it can take some days for the symptoms to return but just in case you do end up with one bad night after say a week of good while during the reintroduction you might find that certain foods cause problems above others.

Keep an eye on his skin too as I've found of Oz is exposed to anything, especially through my milk, his eczema really flares up.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:39 am

Yes thanks Ali and Davina, i think i will leave it a couple of days now and see how he gets on...

bron, the food diary is a great idea thank you!

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby coastal » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:29 pm

That's brilliant that things seem fine so far! :D
We're other ones that are not there yet - I've to wait another 6 months before doing a dairy challenge, when Alasdair will be nearly 3 (he's been dairy free since 4 months old).
My sister is in the process of doing this with my niece at the moment. She was advised to go down the cooked milk route first (because it is easier to digest), try a tiny bit the first time, wait a week, then try a larger amount.
The advice seems to vary enormously though. :-?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:26 am

Update :( I feel awful, my poor boy :cry:

We have had the most awful awful night..i think we got about 3 hours sleep...he was so upset, scrunching himself up into a ball and screaming :( I think we will leave it well alone for a good long while now :(

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler