hf1

Treasure Baskets!

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Treasure Baskets!

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:30 pm

zoeyboo wrote:Have started building mine!

Tomorrow I am going to have a look in some local charity shops for some small wooden & leather things.
I want to get a shaving brush, pine cone, some cotton reels, not sure what else .. plus I want a lidded basket to keep it all in :D

I got a lovely lidded wicker picnic basket with buckle straps for £5 in our local charity shop the other day, so I now have a treasure basket too :-)

First thing DD did today was pull both the leather straps out of the front and chew on them - didn't know the basket was part of the fun!

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:47 pm

Martha has an old velvet handbag of mine with a picture of a playboy bunny on it smoking a cigarette......... :oops: didn't really think about it when I gave it to her.

She has in it, a couple of ribbons from presents in different textures and colours, an old mobile phone, a set of old keys, and old camera, a nailbrush with a ladybird in it, a couple of sets of beads, a few odds and sods that we got free with comics (not sure that's in the spirit of it!!!!!) and some conkers.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:57 pm

My lo gets bored of hers so quickly, but she gets bored of everything quickly even if I rotate them.
We have hair curlers, wooden spoon, egg cups, tin, whisk, microfibre car washing thingy with fabric noodles, small bottle filled with coloured crystal things, a calculator from 99p store, a bungee cord, that scratchy thing you use in the bath...loofer is it? There are some things I only let her have when I'm literally holding her or sitting right next to her, we have a bit of cable that she loves to play with, just use common sense with things, some things you cant leave them 'alone' with although you are meant to supervise at all times with treasure baskets I mean the difference between sitting with them and being the other side of the room. My lo knows the difference between what she can and cant have and chooses what she cant have all the time, e.g. the cable coming from the laptop is so much more fun than the one she can have :giggle:

Napkin rings, natural material coasters, metal, wooden, fabric are all good and even glass e.g. paper weights, just go with your instinct and your individual child on things, and keep out; it's too tempting to play with treasure baskets with your baby but your meant to sit behind them at the closest as it's totally baby led.

I just cant believe people try to sell treasure baskets for huge amounts of money, it's totally not the point in them, and it's fun looking for bits!

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:59 pm

dan loves those silicone bun cases :giggle:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:07 pm

I got a basket from the pound shop and collected a bunch of stuff over a few weeks with the shopping or at the pound shop.
The only things I couldn't find were the wooden eggs etc but I'm on the look out! I want to get some play silks to add to the collection (though I think we now need a bigger basket) and should add few new bits and pieces.

The idea (apparently) is supervised play - letting your LO explore the basket by themselves but with you on hand to make sure they don't hurt themselves. Now Ewan is a bit bigger his basket is in reach in the family room (aka messy room full of toys :roll: ) and he lifts it down off the Ikea trofast storage to play with it.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:32 pm

wooden eggs may be found at your local chicken keeping chooky addict shop ;) I have a few wooden eggs I put in when I get battery chooks so they know where to lay ;)

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:14 am

I have just done Pea's basket and so far she loves it! We have a wooden bowl, a spoon made from coconut, a large polished chunk of citrine crystal, a pompom, a tiny jar with dried sweetcorn in, a cowrie shell, various scraps of material, a couple of linky rings and I have a pine cone that needs a wash as she still puts everything in her mouth.
There is an article in green parent this month about treasure baskets so very timely.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:21 pm

My LO loves a whisk! She also has ribbons, some wrapping paper sealed to make a sort of bag, a little gift box with a lid, any sort of tupperware, a large plastic spoon and a wooden one. Im sure there are lots of other things but can think at the moment!

Its a great idea and v popular xxx

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler