hf1

Midnight nightmare....

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Midnight nightmare....

Postby eviesmummy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:46 am

LilMrsAverage wrote:I'm hoping it will sort it self out - its the screaming til he's sick bit thats getting me the most especially as part of me is sure its for attention :oops: / anger... not because he actually needs anything!

Yep this was the worst part of it with DS1 - he got himself that worked up that he made himself sick, cue unhappy baby and mummy on a guilt trip. Does he sleep in his own room or in your room? If he insists on getting up, then if there was another bed that you and/or dh could lay on and snooze, not interact or stimulate him as much, let him know you arent going to play, perhaps he would get fed up a bit quicker and go back to sleep? Does he take a bottle of milk at that time, or have a dummy or comforter? Hmmm, its not easy when they get all upset though :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:53 am

:hug: you have my sympathy, DD is going through something similar at the moment, although not as bad. She's waking about 4am though and screaming, arching her back etc, the only thing that settles her is :bf: but then she still usually wakes up at least once or twice more until we finally get up at 7.

She has been adjusting her naps too - was having about 1.5 hours in the morning (9.30-11 or there abouts, getting up at 6am) but the last two days she has been awake until 11am and then had 1.5 hours from 11-12.30, then she has skipped her afternoon nap (which was normally 30mins about 3.30pm).

We found she was getting later and later going to bed with her afternoon nap getting later, but now we've dropped it she's not sleeping quite as well - I'm hoping it will get better once she's used to the new routine.

It sounds like Dexter is having quite a lot of sleep during the day - obviously all babies are different, but I think about his age they need 12-14 hours in total including night and day, so if he's getting 3 hours or so in the day then he might only need 9 at night?

I would agree with Sadie, try not to give him toys etc as all you are doing is teaching him that if he screams enough he gets to play with toys or come downstairs, then if you try to stop he'll get even worse. I'd keep the lights low, talk in calm voices, maybe read a story, but not anything too active.

It might be worth having a really active hour or so late afternoon, where you really play with him and get him moving etc, lots of stimulation, and then slowly wind down from that with quieter play and stories etc before bedtime, so he has had plenty of activity but he is wound down before bed?

Good luck - I can imagine it's 100 x worse when you are pregnant :hug:

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:53 am

LilMrsAverage wrote:I'm hoping it will sort it self out - its the screaming til he's sick bit thats getting me the most especially as part of me is sure its for attention :oops: / anger... not because he actually needs anything!

Babies don't make themselves sick for attention.

Vomiting can be linked to anxiety/having night terrors, eating too much near bedtime, recent illness, allergy etc.

Could any of these apply?

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:03 am

I would agree that the being sick is probably not attention seeking but the screaming and crying is and he is getting himself so worked up that he is sick.

I would agree with some of the suggestions you have already had, be consistent, keep the lights low, no real interaction - make it very clear to him that it is sleep time and not play time. I think it is easy for a child to stir in the night and realise that if he makes lots of noise Mummy and Daddy are going to come and play. While others will say he needs the comfort and attention, I would disagree and say that he needs to learn that nighttime is for sleeping and daytime is for playing.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:08 am

We found the best thing with Ben and Charlotte was to sit in the room with them, so they know you are there. Ben would get bored very easily and lay down and go off to sleep.

I think as they get older, they become more aware of their surroundings. We all go through sleep cycles and as an adult we just roll over and go back to sleep without even realising it but young children wake up and then struggle to settle themselves back to sleep, especially if they think they can take the opportunity to play :wink:

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:03 am

nappynutter wrote:

Babies don't make themselves sick for attention.

Vomiting can be linked to anxiety/having night terrors, eating too much near bedtime, recent illness, allergy etc.

Could any of these apply?

We tried him on ( quite boring for him!) exactly the same foods for 5 days running to rule out it was the food the day before etc and it was completely random as to when he will wake.

he's not been ill - and back from the doctors this morning as I went to make sure he didn't have an ear infection or anything

- He has dinner about an hour and half before bed and then had a bottle of milk to sleep - when he wakes he won't take milk or water - its the fact that if I get him out and put him down on the floor to play he instantly laughs and plays but is too tired and keeps falling over that gets me - in my head if it was an issue so too speak he wouldn't be happy doing that either.

He is also very pleased with himself if we take him to our back and climbs around laughing asking for kisses.... he won't settle anymore in our bed which is part of the reason we stopped co sleeping to begin with as our bed became playtime for him.

its the fact that he will make himself sick that gets me he'll do it in my arms - its not 'real' tears just him forcing himself to cry IYKWIM....

I'm trying for a nap at 11 today he went down without a fuss and straight to sleep which was good and he has been very busy all morning.

I'm hoping this will allow him a short nap in the afternoon then to bed slightly later but for the night....

We shall see..

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:23 am

FC it improves. But you will probably be in for a few bad nights as it will probably take a little while to settle down. I believe consistency is the key though :D

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:27 pm

LilMrsAverage wrote:
its the fact that if I get him out and put him down on the floor to play he instantly laughs and plays but is too tired and keeps falling over that gets me - in my head if it was an issue so too speak he wouldn't be happy doing that either.

He is also very pleased with himself if we take him to our back and climbs around laughing asking for kisses.... he won't settle anymore in our bed which is part of the reason we stopped co sleeping to begin with as our bed became playtime for him.

its the fact that he will make himself sick that gets me he'll do it in my arms - its not 'real' tears just him forcing himself to cry IYKWIM....

I'm trying for a nap at 11 today he went down without a fuss and straight to sleep which was good and he has been very busy all morning.

I'm hoping this will allow him a short nap in the afternoon then to bed slightly later but for the night....

We shall see..

I agree with you that if he is laughing and playing when you put him down that there isn't likely to be anything really wrong with him (illness, pain etc) but it's more attention and wanting to be with Mummy and Daddy and play.

sounds like you are doing the right thing with naps, just try and remember if he wakes tonight that you keep interaction minimal, keep the room dark, voices low etc, just reassure him but don't play with him, and see what happens. :hug:

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler