Stair gate advice please!

My avatar
mrssproggit
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Stair gate advice please!

Postby mrssproggit » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:21 pm

Hi ladies,

We need to get stairgates up asap as dd is now pretty much walking! We've left it rather late :oops:

So, was hoping I might be able to pick some lovely brains for which ones are good and which to avoid. We def need two: one to go in between two walls at the top of the stairs. We can't fit them at the top of our stairs as the layout will only allow us to put it on the second from top step, and with them being fairly steep stairs I worry it won't be tall enough and dd will tip herself over the top of it - totally defeating the purpose of having one in the first place!! And the other is to go in a doorway between our dining room and kitchen, as there's another really steep step down into the kitchen.

Still debating whether it's worth getting one for the bottom of the stairs - any thoughts/opinions one way or the other??

Any current deals, etc anyone knows of would be most welcome too! :D

Cheers my dears!!! :wine: :hug:

xx

My avatar
jasmine b
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Stair gate advice please!

Postby jasmine b » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:26 pm

i would say definetely get one for the bottom of the stairs as fin likes to climb up the stairs but then cant come down again so lands up being rescued but i dread to think what would happen if we didnt get to him in time. we have auto-close betttacare stairgates which close themselves automatically in case you forget to shut them yourself which is great and they adjust to different lengths - our stairs are very wide and we have a patio door which these gates fit :)

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:26 pm

no advice on the stairs as i live in a flat, but is there a surestart centre near you? depending on your income they give away home safety kits, mine included 2 free safey gates and they came and fited them for free giving advice on where was best to place them etc xx

My avatar
mrssproggit
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mrssproggit » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:38 pm

Oooh, thanks ladies!

Sammie, will call our local sure start tomorrow! If not, I'm assuming I'd be able to contact our hv to ask through them??

xx

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:52 am

I'd say have a think about whether you really need any. We never used any stair gates for ds, and I don't actually know anyone else that has either. He started crawling up the stairs at 7 months and I just made sure he knew from the start how to do it safely, and that he wasn't to do it without a grown up nearby.

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:10 am

We definetly had to get stairgates as we have stone steps. We bought ours from Annette :D they are the lindam safety gates and are great. We have not put one at the bottom of the stairs yet, mainly because Oscar has never shown any interest in climbing up.

Viki x

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:11 am

I dont have any on my stairs, personally i dont like them on stairs at all...i think they are dangerous...we have just taught the children how to get up and down safely :) I have one in my living room so that I have a restricted place i can put Kieren while i nip to the bin/loo etc

My avatar
toryuk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby toryuk » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:16 am

We have these ones:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... IRGATE.htm
One between the living room and kitchen, and another on his bedroom door. They were really easy to fit, and seem quite adjustable.
We have them, like pp, just so I can nip around and do things without worrying where he's got to, or what he's destroying :giggle: It's nice to have a shower knowing he's just in his room playing ;)

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:44 am

I have a Lindam one at the bottom of the stairs, but it's actually a dog gate so much higher than normal stair gates. I'm going to take it off soon though because Kerr can come downstairs safely at last - he used to climb up and turn round and just step off. We definitely needed a gate, the alternative was broken limbs!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler