hf1

Stair gate advice please!

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Stair gate advice please!

Postby emmalala » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:49 am

we have ours from when surestart did them ages ago and they were £6 each. they are lindam ones and the one upstairs is mamas and papas. the mamas and papas one is rubbish, i must have fixed it a million times, the lindam ones have lasted 9 years though :shock: I need them in my house because our stairs are really steep. I have one at the top and bottom of the stairs and one on the kitchen door. My kitchen is teeny so all the dangerous stuff is within reach. the older 3 know how to open them though

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:57 pm

We have 2 lindam ones for the rabbit :giggle: :giggle: Its to stop him going where he isnt supposed to go but allows the cats to still get in and out of all the rooms so they will come in handy when bubs is old enough. They are really agustable (sp :oops: ) and easy to fit and would recomend them

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:06 pm

megansmummy wrote:I dont have any on my stairs, personally i dont like them on stairs at all...i think they are dangerous...we have just taught the children how to get up and down safely :) I have one in my living room so that I have a restricted place i can put Kieren while i nip to the bin/loo etc

We don't have stair gates at all for the same reason.

I also wouldn't let SureStart nosey round my home to check up on me either. :wink:

My avatar
mrssproggit
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mrssproggit » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:52 pm

megansmummy wrote:we have just taught the children how to get up and down safely :)

Ok, I may be being a little slow :oops: :giggle: but how do you teach them to come down the stairs safely?? Going up wasn't a problem - she learnt that one within 5 mins of dh teaching her!!! :roll:

Oh, and Sammie the gates you got were a one off thing my local sure start did ages ago but don't do it anymore - boo!! :( Thanks for suggesting it though!

xx

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:20 pm

hi hun we did the teaching up and down safely too. We just (from about 7/8 months )said "turn round and come down backwards" showed her and did it every time she went near the stairs. I also used STOP! and the sign for stop (because she has to stop what she is doing to do think and sign it) then say turn round and come down backwards.

Now she is a bit older i am teaching her to hold on to the rail and walk down, which is going well. She could still slip though and sometimes she gets giddy and forgets how to do things safely. She knows to stop, sit down and slide into the swimming pool but occaisonally if excited she tries to just jump in on her own :giggle:

I still have stair gates on bottom and top. It is just incase, i would never ever forgive myself if i took my eye off her for a second and she fell down the stairs. If she wants to climb the stairs she goes to the stair gate and points, so i open the gate and we do it together. I do not want her doing it without me though she is too little to take that responsiblity on herself. The reason we have one at the top is becasue she likes to run around upstairs and her bedroom door sometimes doesnt completely shut.

We have lindam ones too which are good. If sure start do them in your area i would much prefer to have them coming to fit them (even if they had a nosy round) than social services asking why we dont have stair gates when they visit my home after a trip to a&e because my baby fell down the stairs.

Im not saying EVERYONE should have stair gates but Im glad we have them

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:40 am

im just thinking about removing ours :giggle: we cant put one at the top but have one at the bottom, its always open atm thou!
keeping the one on her bedroom thou.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:11 am

ehhehe I realise these are doggy gates, but they are very very nice doggy gates, my friend has used them for her lounge/diner which has patio steps out into the garden.. they look lovely, and are multi fit!

I realise they dont use them for children, but when we all went round to look at them, we thought they were actually better made than the wooden child gates!!!! I think a lot of this comes down to common sense.

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product_di ... at_id=6666

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:49 am

mrssproggit wrote:
Ok, I may be being a little slow :oops: :giggle: but how do you teach them to come down the stairs safely?? Going up wasn't a problem - she learnt that one within 5 mins of dh teaching her!!! :roll:

xx

teaching them to do it safely is making sure they always go up & down using hands and feet and always facing the stairs. and letting them know that anything other than that is unacceptable. and they also must know that going on stairs without a grownup is unacceptable. if they turn around at the top to come down facing away from the stairs, always turn them around. (obviously dependent on age)

and rather than making them avoid the stairs, let them have access - if they don't try they'll never learn. and surprisingly the novelty wears off when it's not a banned thing, so they actually don't try to go up so much.

when they're really little you can hold the back of their t-shirt in the upper back if you want reassurance, that way they have full range of movement to learn how to do it properly, but their is something to stop them tumbling all the way down if they slip. ds started climbing stairs at 7 months, and i did that as i needed reassurance. didn't need to do it for long though.

obviously you don't go to the kitchen and not check on them for 30 mins, they do need supervision whenever they attempt it, but they have to learn sometime so why not right from the start.

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler