hf1

Thinking of going cold turkey with naps! update p.3

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Thinking of going cold turkey with naps! update p.3

Postby gilbertandmartha » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Ok I'm officially in hell again with nap times. Without boring you too much basically they go to bed at 7pm and are both asleep in seconds. Occassionally wake up during the night, but this is rare. They have been randomly waking up anytime from 5am onwards, but I refuse to let them out of their cots until at least 6am.

From then on its a disaster. Riley randomly has a morning nap, but more often than not she doesnt. Lachlan is starting to very occassionally not have one. I started to cut out the morning snack so they would be hungrier at 11.30 for lunch then a quick lunch, milkand bed by 12.45ish (it does take me a while to do nappies etc and get them to bed). Riley has been having about 50 mins max most days, and Lachlan mostly 1.5hrs.

But they are all over the place, and its really affecting their moods. So I'm now thinking that things can't get any worse, so why not go cold turkey and cut out the morning nap, to try and get a really good sleep in at lunch.

I thought if i planned to go somewehere in the buggy or car around 9.30ish (but only for a short while) so if they needed a quick nap they could. And also the same in the afternoon if they need a quick catch up.

I really can't think of anything else to do, and they are both SO shattered. What are your thoughts? (thanks!)
Last edited by gilbertandmartha on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Thinking of going cold turkey with naps! opinions?

Postby Shaunie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:37 pm

:hug: What time were you putting them down for a nap before this? They could well be over-tired and this is why they're not napping properly. At this age, my 2 would nap for about 1.5hr around11am at the latest when they were up around 7am. I would give a snack at 10.30, change nappies then off to bed. It's only now that Isaac can manage until around 12pm when I put him down for 1.5 or so hrs. In fact, he's started getting a little fussy so will now offer lunch around 11.30ish so that I can do nappy then be in bed no later than 12.30pm or he'll be OT & won't settle :roll:

Cutting out a nap at this age would leave them so tired (& you!) so a much earlier bed-time would be needed IMO of you did this. I often refer to the baby whisperer site when having sleep troubles :wink:

ETA - a short nap often indicates being OT

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:45 pm

I would normally put them down at 8.30-9am for the first nap, then the second has been anything from 12 - 1.30 depnding on lunch etc.

the thing is I know they are overtired, but I am just at a loss at what to do! and I am just so exhausted at trying to comford two tired babies.

ETA - ooh I didnt want to come across all 'I KNOW' they are overtired.... I'm just SO frazzled
Last edited by gilbertandmartha on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
fleur08
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby fleur08 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:47 pm

i'd try to get them to have a nap around about 11 ish at this age, maybe give them a bigish snack before this so they arent too hungry then try to get them to go down afterwards.
i think by completly stopping their naps,youre going to end up with 2 very ,over tired,grumpy little people to deal with.
could you get them out for a walk/runaround in the morning to wear them out abit? i know its not always that easy but may help short term to get them napping again?
just an idea, :hug: :hug: hope you can sort something out that suits you all.

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:52 pm

fleur08 wrote:i'd try to get them to have a nap around about 11 ish at this age, maybe give them a bigish snack before this so they arent too hungry then try to get them to go down afterwards.
i think by completly stopping their naps,youre going to end up with 2 very ,over tired,grumpy little people to deal with.
could you get them out for a walk/runaround in the morning to wear them out abit? i know its not always that easy but may help short term to get them napping again?

wss, dan has one nap around 11 o clock

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:54 pm

fleur08 wrote:i'd try to get them to have a nap around about 11 ish at this age, maybe give them a bigish snack before this so they arent too hungry then try to get them to go down afterwards.

oooooh I'm not thinking of no naps... does my original post say that??? i'm thinking of just 1 nap!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:34 pm

No, you didn't say you were going to drop naps all together but it did read that way IYKWIM?

Like others have said, I'd just go for one nap no later than 11am after a snack - can't remember what age DS2 was when he dropped to one nap but was prob a similar age. Hope they re-settle into a new nap routine for you soon :hug:

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:38 pm

I would drop to one nap too.
At that age ds was going for a nap at about 11.30/12 and waking at 2/2.30. Bigish snack or lunch beforehand depending on how droopy he was. He cut down to one nap himself at 11 months :shock:

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:47 pm

I'd go for cutting down to one nap at this age too. Kacie has only had one nap for a few weeks or more. It varys between before lunch starting between 11 and half past or after lunch starting between 12:15 and 12:45. The variation depends on what time she gets up which is between half 7 and 9, and what we're doing for the day. It was only when she started having just the one nap a day that she started napping for longer that 45 minutes. Her naps now vary between 1.5 and 3 hours.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler