hf1

Allergic to Amber?

My avatar
Chooky
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Allergic to Amber?

Postby Chooky » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:50 am

It's probably coincidence but DD never gets sick.
Friday morning DD was perfect, nothing unusual. We finally got our Amber Teething necklace so i put it on when she had woken that morning. A few hours later and she had a temp. I gave her norofen because she was also swallowing like her throat hurt. (we usually give Panadol, although she has had Nurofen once before) Didn't really seem to be working so on the Pharmacist advice we gave Panandol and Nurofen accordingly. By that afternoon she had come up with Little spots all over her. Sort of like heat rash but not so itchy.
Sat afternoon she still had not gotten better so i took her to the Dr. he said the spots Looked like an allergic reaction possibly the Nurofen (so i stopped giving it to her)and she probably had a viral infection and if it doesn't improve to go back today. Last night i took the amber off before she went to bed. and she quickly got better.

She has not had nurofen for over 24 hours now but the rash is still there no signs that it will go.
Do you think she could be allergic to the amber? or is it just coincidental?
I know i'm prob just being a silly sleep deprived mummy but it's the only thing that makes sense in my head right now :oops:

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Allergic to Amber?

Postby shoogah01 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:09 am

awww poor wee buba :(
we had similar without the spots and with vomiting when we first started using Amber but I think it was more teething related than an allergy to the amber because it subsided in a week once a tooth had broken through. DD has been wearing her amber ever since with no effects on her health at all and she is much happier with it on.

Maybe if you wait for a week and then try the amber again, if she has another reaction then I would say it may be an allergy to the amber or anything else the necklace is made of.

I hope she gets better soon :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Chooky
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Allergic to Amber?

Postby Chooky » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:54 am

Thanks Michelle, I think i'll wait for a week and try again. I really hope it's not the amber as I hate using panadol. And it really suits her too :giggle:

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Allergic to Amber?

Postby JanX » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:27 am

What type of fastening does the necklace have? If it has a metal fastening of any sort then it would be more likely to be a reaction to that than to the amber itself.

Amber is also used to reduce allergies and boost the metabolism and immune system, and allergic reation to the amber itself is extremely rare (although not completely unheard of).

Did you wash the necklace before putting it on? Give it a rinse in just water and leave it to dry naturally before using it again (in case the necklace has been in contact with anything before it got to you!)

Jan x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Allergic to Amber?

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:33 am

I was going to suggest the same as Jan about giving it a wash...

My avatar
Chooky
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Allergic to Amber?

Postby Chooky » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:41 am

I didn't think to wash it :oops: so i will do that.
It has 2 larger beads as the fastener 1 has a plastic screw bit that screws into the other bead IYGWIM
No metal at all

My avatar
Chooky
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Allergic to Amber? Update

Postby Chooky » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:03 am

:wine: It's not the Amber!!

:shock: It's foot hand and mouth disease :shock: Just a mild case though and she is on the mend :hug:

I will still wait until she has recovered fully to put it back on though :wink:

Thank you ladies for your help :hug:

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Allergic to Amber? Update

Postby happytails » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Chooky wrote::wine: It's not the Amber!!

:shock: It's foot hand and mouth disease :shock: Just a mild case though and she is on the mend :hug:

I will still wait until she has recovered fully to put it back on though :wink:

Thank you ladies for your help :hug:

:shock: oh no!! :hug: :hug: for your DD, poor wee thing!!!

Reminds me i need to order myself an Amber necklace for myself, DD always wears hers and it really suits her :D and she is called Amber too :wink:

Sarah x

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Allergic to Amber?

Postby JanX » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:32 pm

aww hope she recovers soon, still give the necklace a rinse in plain water and let it dry naturally before using it!

Sarah - I am just about to place another order so if there is anything in particular you are afterr feel free to pm me and I'll see if I can get it for you if you like :wink: :wink:

Jan x


Return to Baby and Toddler