hf1

Ewwwww!! help

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Ewwwww!! help

Postby sim » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:35 am

And don't forget to change sheets and towels and wash them as hot as you can!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:39 am

I think hedrin is one of the better ones, no pesticides and repeat 7 days later.Nit combing every day with lots of conditioner will also get rid of them. Headlice are often resistant to the pesticide stuff. Kids often get reinfected at school/nursery etc so it can be a nightmare trying to get rid! Good luck! :hug:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:44 am

Madison has a LOT of hair & when she first started school she was tortured. Done alot of research into this & used several nit lotions. They DO NOT work. You are better off combing her hair throughally with a nit comb, go over the hair 6 or 7 times at least & get as many of the live bugs as you can. Then you need to start picking out the eggs. You can only do this with your nails as the egg stick very well to the hair. You need to section out the hair in very small sections, like they do when you are getting highlights. Check front & back of each section & pull out any eggs you find.

Then you need to repeat every 7 days for 2-3 weeks. The eggs take 7 days to hatch, they cannot lay eggs for another 7 days & then they lay eggs for 7 days before they die. Ideally you want to get them in the egg or first 7 days stage.

Use a chemical treatment if you like but you will still have to comb & there will be live ones still there, they'll just be a bit paralysed for a few hours before they go back to normal. Olive oil does the exact same thing so might be worth using that instead. The eggs will never come off the hairs even when dead so you will need to pull those off as they look awful.

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Nitty Gritty comb gets the eggs out too!

Jan x

My avatar
Chooky
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Chooky » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:15 pm

Mum always used Eucalyptus oil in some conditioner for head lice.Then went through our hair with a cheap nit comb, it seemed to help remove most of the eggs too :wine: She would do it again about a week later when you couldn't smell the Eucalyptus anymore :giggle:

Always had nice clear nostrils for that week too :hohoho:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:17 pm

sim wrote:And don't forget to change sheets and towels and wash them as hot as you can!

And treat the whole family!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:36 pm

DS1 had them once - tons of conditioner combed through with a cheap nit comb again & again 7 again &............

Didn't try the chemical stuff. We did get a spary to put in their hair when they are clear to prevent them getting them again but can't remember what it was called. Wasn't a chemical product though.

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:16 pm

http://www.boots.com/en/Nitty-Gritty-Ni ... ree%20Comb

This is the nitty gritty comb. It's really really good, and you can get it for free from your pharmacist on the minor ailments scheme. It has a lifetime guarantee too :)

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:08 pm

I used Full Marks too and then washed and conditioned their hair with tea tree shampoo and conditioner....I used the nit comb for a few days after wards and then repeated the process 7 days later. Worked perfectly for us.

All kids get headlice at some point too so don't worry! :hug:

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler