Molars etc...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Molars etc...

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Aren't they just the pits...
Top two came through with a bit of a fuss but nothing major really... But the bottom through have just popped through and boy do we know about it!!

I *think* it's what is causing Grace to not eat or drink right now but can't be sure :?
She's developed quite an oral aversion to having anything put in her mouth by someone else... I guess it must feel quite strange suddenly having these big spiky teeth in your mouth where there were none before...
Even pure Juice, her favourite foods (blueberries, frozen bananas, spaghetti hoops), ice-cream etc are being refused :?
She's managed a couple of humzingers today but that's about it!
Even calpol and reflux meds she won't take and she's normally fine with those... We've never had a problem getting them into her before!

She's over her horrendous temperatures (40+ all night long!) thankfully but is doing her usual thing of can't maintain a normal body temp once she's asleep now so she's in a sleep suit, gro bag, and has a duvet over her... She woke up crying because she was so cold! Plenty of cuddles soon warmed her up though :)

Has been nice getting cuddles from her though as she isn't normally very cuddly - but the whine-ing today has driven me a little nuts!!

She's also got impetigo poor kiddo! The antibiotics for it are absolutely disgusting - think bitrex... :?
I finally got one dose into her today - mixed with grape juice and mango puree - but she needs it 4x a day :shock:

Why on earth can't they make these things paletable, and why oh why do they stick these nasty colourings in them, it doesn't NEED to be bright orange surely! :x

She was prescribed the version without sweetners but they can't get it! So it has to be a sugar free version, thankfully she doesn't react to sorbitol but aspartame makes her very irritable...

What do they do if someone can't have any artifical sweetners?!

The GP the receptionists spoke to later wasn't very helpful - suggested mixing it with yogurts... Erm no the pharmacist specifically said DON'T mix it with anything like that as it's supposed to be taken without food, so juice or fruit puree but not anything with protein in... (and she can't have dairy anyway which the GP would have known if he'd looked at her notes!) But it is the best antibiotic for the job unfortunately and it is pretty nasty poor kiddo...

Anyway that was a bit of a ramble!

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Molars etc...

Postby Amanda » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:06 pm

Aww poor baby. Sounds like she, and you, have been having a tough time of it. Connor went off his food during much of his teething, especially canines and molars, as you say it really must feel rather odd once these new teeth poke through. Hope Grace is on the mend and that you manage to get her meds into her a bit easier tomorrow. Good luck with the antibiotic!

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Oh poor love. Hopefully they'll be through soon.

Is it flucloxacillin she's on? Foul stuff.

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:22 pm

Steph, molars really are the pits. We're all suffering here. Oli's been very grumpy and off his food and his nappies are a nightmare. We're up about 2-3 times a night with him which is a bit of a shock to the system. I hope Grace's are through soon.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Phenoxymethylpenicillin

Also contains:
Sodium Benzoate (E211)
Ponceau 4R (E124)
Sunset Yellow (E110)
Saccharin sodium,
Trusil orange=flavour
Sorbitol 60W (E4201)
and mono ammonium glycyrrhizinate (which I've never heard of!! ;) )

wonder if mixing it with manuka honey would work...

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:31 pm

YUMMY! That sounds delicious. What a cocktail :evil:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:32 pm

ladybird wrote:YUMMY! That sounds delicious. What a cocktail :evil:

Exactly - vile isn't it... No wonder she won't let me near her with it!

If it wasn't for the impetigo being so horrid I'd not bother!

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:35 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:Phenoxymethylpenicillin

Also contains:
Sodium Benzoate (E211)
Ponceau 4R (E124)
Sunset Yellow (E110)
Saccharin sodium,
Trusil orange=flavour
Sorbitol 60W (E4201)
and mono ammonium glycyrrhizinate (which I've never heard of!! ;) )

wonder if mixing it with manuka honey would work...

Just been doing a bit of googling as I was sure Sunset Yellow was banned. Which it is in some countries and as far as I can see has no place in children's medicine - a pretty colour will not make it taste better!

"Sunset yellow is an artificial, orange / yellow food colouring. A research study published by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) in September 2007 showed that a mixture of artificial food colourings including sunset yellow and one food preservative, could affect hyperactive behaviour in susceptible children.

Under EC guidelines, medicines should carry a warning that sunset yellow “may cause allergic reactions”. Foods and drinks carry no such warning, despite been consumed in much greater quantities.

Sunset yellow is banned from all foods and drinks for the under threes.

Sunset yellow is used in a wide variety of sweets, soft drinks and other food and drink products. "

Source: http://www.actiononadditives.com/Food_a ... formation/

ETA I realise you probably know all that already but thought it was worth sharing x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:37 pm

It does carry warnings about three of the 'other' ingredients...
"Sodium Benzoate is an irritant to the skin, eyes nose and mouth and can cause allergies and asthma and may cause jaundice in newborn babies

Ponceau 4R and Sunset yellow can cause allergic type reactions including asthma..."

The pharmacist did actually try ordering the sugar version but their supplier/warehouse doesn't stock it!

Not really sure what I can do about that :?

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler