hf1

toddler diarrhoea??///updated8/8 on page 2

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: toddler diarrhoea does anyone have any experience?

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:04 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:My SIL found that feeding her son more junk food stopped his! :lol:
High fat, no wholewheat (so ALL refined flor e.g. white bread etc), sugar etc... and much much much less fruit and veg...

Apparently it's more common in better educated families whose LOs are more likely to eat plenty of fruit and veg and less cr@p :lol:

That might or might not be helpful to you!!

Oh and dairy can also be a trigger...

So true! The only time Rebekah had solid poo's was over Christmas a couple of years ago when we ate A LOT of cr@p :wink: :giggle:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:26 am

Velvetsteph wrote:My SIL found that feeding her son more junk food stopped his! :lol:
High fat, no wholewheat (so ALL refined flor e.g. white bread etc), sugar etc... and much much much less fruit and veg...

Apparently it's more common in better educated families whose LOs are more likely to eat plenty of fruit and veg and less cr@p :lol:

That might or might not be helpful to you!!

Oh and dairy can also be a trigger...

I don't find this at all. Ben has almost given up on milk since he rejected his night time bottle months ago (I know he will get a bit of dairy in other things but there was no discernable change with the decrease in milk intake which was sometimes 2 pints in a day), he eats fruit and veg but not a huge amount, maybe one apple or one banana each day and a portion of veg with his dinner. And he eats a fair amount of what could be considered "junk" - biscuits, crackers, occasional crisps and chocolate. As I said, I am at a complete loss as to what causes it, it is possible it could be related to wheat but I think cutting that out would be incredibly difficult and would have to be a whole family thing when trying to persuade a 2 year old he can't have what his big sister is having and as the paediatrician said, it is unlikely to be a specific allergy but rather an immaturity in the gut that seems to correct itself over time. Very very frustrating in the meantime though, I suppose we have just got used to it as it has now been about 20 months since it started when he first had solid food - and he didn't even have any wheat when we started weaning so another reason I think it is unlikely to be that. One of life's little mysteries - it doesn't seem to bother him unless it is one of his toxic periods when he is very sore.

My avatar
Mollybob
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Mollybob » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:38 am

Monty is nearly 3 now and has always done nasty poos like you described. Giles' started off solid, but have gone the same way. They both eat loads of fruit (Monty eats little else some days - I wish he would eat anything else, even junk!), so I put it down to that and hope they will grow out of it. The nursery sent Monty home once, but I explained that it's completely normal for him so now they don't mind.

A really good cream is Burt's Bees diaper ointment in a tube. It's not cheap, but it lasts a long time and it has worked wonders on my two when they've had sore bottoms x

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:41 am

Sickness bugs can very commenly cause temporary lactose intolerence. Cut out all dairy for a week and i can bet you his poo is normal. Honestly try it!!!!!!!!!!

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:48 am

Is he still on the cows milk or back on formula? Isaiah can't tolerate large amounts of cows milk, he is ok with a bit on cereals or porridge but as soon as I've tried to replace his bottles with cows milk he get the most awful stomach/poo problems. He either ends up really constipated or very loose but in such pain when he tries to poo, and he starts to wake up in the night with cramps.
As soon as I go back to toddler milk then he's fine :-?

My avatar
angiepangie2809
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angiepangie2809 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:55 am

Just a quick update!
We have had a rough 5 days since i started this thread. Ethans belly has got worse and worse and hes still very sore bless him.
hes pooed at almost every nappy change now and while his bottom doesnt look quite as angry red today we are aware that could change again quite fast because we look like we are getting on top of it then he gets realy sore again.
weve managed to get some nappy free time in which is unusual as ethans not keen on it normaly and
we have been changing his nappy roughly every hour (when possible) and have been smothering him in metanium. ive also been using cotton wool and cold camomile tea to clean him with.
He is eating and drinking ok so we know he hasnt got a bug or anything but something has realy set his stomach off and we are trying to figure out what. i quietly suspect its dairy and have put him back on formula milk to see what happens....hes even eaking during the night now with a pooey bum...something he hasnt done since he was newborn!
unfortunatly weve had to stop using cloth and are using disposables full time at the moment because i cant cope or keep on top of the cleaning of his toxic cloth nappies...i am hating this but am hoping its only a short term measure and that we will be back to using cloth full time again very soon.

I am at the doctors with him tomorrow evening so am hoping the doctor has some suggestions.
am worried if we have to cut out all dairy for a period of time as he is such a fussy eater and most the stuff he will eat is either dairy based or has some form of it in it!

Am getting realy concerned now! :(

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: toddler diarrhoea??///updated8/8 on page 2

Postby ladybird » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:00 am

:hug:
Not sure how much help formula will be as I think most of those have dairy in. I could be very wrong though as I've not been near the stuff for many years.

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:48 pm

:hug: :hug: Poor Ethan ( and you :wink: ) Hope the GP can get to the bottom of this quickly (no pun intended :giggle: )

Shadow's right about the formula though. most of them are cows milk based so if it's that it might not make a difference. :hug: :hug:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:01 pm

Could be temporary lactose intolerance as has been suggested.this can happen after a diarrhoea bug and can last a few months.if it is that then formula milk won't help as it's lactose based too,you'd have to cut out all dairy and keep trying to reintroduce it every month or so.if it is that it usually resolves with time.hopefully the gp can help.

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler