My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: what can i do other than dummy?

Postby tiyuricc » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:06 pm

nappynutter wrote:Does this help?

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

If she's like this normally then I would expect a growth spurt to make it worse.

have only had time to skim read at the minute, will read properly later, but lots sounds familiar-
mostly a happy upchucker, but on bad days she gets distressed by it
always hiccups, multiple times a day, and every time she gets hiccups it ends in sick
since birth she's thrown up every time she's placed on her back, hence her determination to learn to roll over which she did at about 8 weeks.
lately, lying on belly does same thing so she's taken to side lying
not sure about weight gain... she did drop from 97th percentile at birth down to 25th or less, need to get her weighed again to see whether she's dropped further.
this bit constantly: Sandifer’s syndrome: Baby may ‘posture’ and arch the neck & back to relieve reflux pain--this lengthens the esophagus and reduces discomfort.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:32 pm

What about folding a muslin up smaller and handstitching it together in a few places so it's not big enough to get tangled up?

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:51 pm

I was going to say a Sophie as well
http://www.sophielagirafe.co.uk/p/produ ... e+Giraffe/

My avatar
pinkgirl
Clothie
Clothie

Postby pinkgirl » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Really sounds like reflux to me. :(
My DD has it and we saw 3 GPs and 2 HVs before anybody took us seriously :evil: She's now on omeprazole and under the hospital and doing well but you really have to push for answers sometimes.
BTW reflux babies often don't display all the symptoms - just 1 or 2 can mean they've got it.
My dd sucks endlessly on my boobs sometimes for comfort - the little bit of milk helps soothe the pain of reflux.

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:26 pm

I would say go back to your gp and just be a bit more pushy! Sometimes they dont want to take it seriously or just think it will pass so aren't bothered. But if your baby and yourself are getting upset then you deserve for it to be taken seriously!
Another thing I would say is put her in the sling, my dd always loved this and it helped to calm her down!

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:27 pm

Sounds distressingly familiar - so much like Jake.

You need to make a record of the symptoms over a few days and go back to your GP and insist that something is done. Vomitting is NOT something that is "just what babies do".

Jake will also not take a dummy - the only way I can calm him down when distressed is to hold him with his head on my shoulder and pat his back rhythmically. This will eventually calm him down enough to fall asleep.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:32 pm

I think it was at about 4 months that I let my two sleep with a muslin, they both needed something to hold, and Riley needed something to chew on. I was worried that they would cover their faces and not be able to breathe, but then realised that they could easily suck air through a muslin. Now when they are about to go to sleep they pull the muslin over their faces :giggle:

Both of mine move about a lot at night, so if you are anti-dummies and she likes a muslin i'd go for that.

My avatar
pinkgirl
Clothie
Clothie

Postby pinkgirl » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:40 pm

yes I second the sling idea. Get a decent one (moby wrap or similar is especially good for refluxy babies) put baby in it in an upright position and go for a walk outside'. Very soothing and even refluxy babies usually respond to this.
Oh and another biggie - give up all dairy products including hidden dairy like whey etc for 2 weeks. Be very strict with yourself and see if it makes a difference. In a lot of refluxy babies the problem is down to dairy allergy and it takes 2 weeks to see proper results. Don't give up bf whatever you do as formula makes reflux even worse (even soya or hypoallergenic)
Also avoid putting baby down flat - prop up the head of the cot with books etc. Keep baby upright as much as possible. Don't lie baby flat in pram - use sling, carseat or pushchair instead.
You have my sympathies - its horrid.

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:47 pm

I agree with cutting out dairy! I stopped drinking cows milk and it helped DD so much, She has difficulty with BM.

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler