hf1

Nits....

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Nits....

Postby LilMrsAverage » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:17 pm

Quick question - visiting family including two small 11/12 yr old cousins.... and I've found a nit in Dexters hair :shock:

- What can I do to make sure he doesn't 'keep' them so to speak - and I just found one live adult louse no actual nit eggs - how long do they take to lay eggs

... wah turns out one of the cousins is crawling with them shudder....

My avatar
Steph
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Nits....

Postby Steph » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:21 pm

Grr Toby kept getting them at school this year! I think if you find only an adult louse and you got it quickly you should be ok. Just keep checking his hair for the eggs they are pretty easy to see. All the stuff you buy is a waste of time wet combing method is by far the best :hug: :hug:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:25 pm

Get a Nitty Gritty comb and use it regularly for the next couple of weeks!

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Use a tea tree conditioner on his hair, they hate it and the conditioner means they cant stick to the hair or lay eggs to the hair, best to leave it on overnight thou! xxx

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:36 pm

ladybird wrote:Get a Nitty Gritty comb and use it regularly for the next couple of weeks!

you can get this on prescription too
I had something simular when Liana was little she had hair to her bottom and weekly combing or daily if you have found one meant she has only ever had lice once.
Combing is the only way to break the lice life cycle if you comb once a week as a preventative with a nit comb they won't get them it takes about 4 weeks of daily combing to get rid once they have them tho hense why you will hear people say they can't get rid of them as they comb for a week then forget etc,

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:09 pm

we also use vosene hair shampoo to try and deter them. itis one of those things kids seem to just get as there will always be someone who doesn't de bug hair.

My avatar
moonlily
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby moonlily » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:43 pm

ive never got on with the nitty gritty comb tbh and i was a bit miffed as it was a tenner!!!! judith go to savers and get dr johnsons nit conditioner with neem oil its fab!!! and use either the free plastic comb or jus pick out any eggs but if you caught the louse in time you might be lucky!!
i used to make my 2 an eo mix it was brill lmk if you want some xx

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:38 am

LilMrsAverage wrote:Quick question - visiting family including two small 11/12 yr old cousins.... and I've found a nit in Dexters hair :shock:

- What can I do to make sure he doesn't 'keep' them so to speak - and I just found one live adult louse no actual nit eggs - how long do they take to lay eggs

... wah turns out one of the cousins is crawling with them shudder....

Used loads of condiitioner and a nit comb or the finest comb you can see, repeat every day.

Can you not mention it to the kids parents? :-? i would, it would save alot of other people having to de-louse their kids/themselves.

Urgh, they are making my head itch just thinking about them :|

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:08 am

Oh no I told my sister straight away and she's redoing little birds hair - she has hair to her waist lol and the problem arises as my sister does her hair all the time - but when she stays with her dad and his girlfriend they don't do it so my sister faces a continuous struggle trying to break the cycle! zx

Return to Baby and Toddler