hf1

Handling tantrums...?

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Handling tantrums...?

Postby Fayesmum » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:35 pm

Faye had a strop on earlier because I was trying to encourage her to walk and she really told me that she didn't want too :-? Crying, throwing herself round on the floor... So I went and got her dummy, blankie and sat on the sofa giving her a cuddle, I'm not sure if I handled it right and if doing it the way I did just reinforced that it's ok to have a paddy if she wants one? Should I have just ignored her and let her carry on screaming?

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Handling tantrums...?

Postby northernruth » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:11 pm

Not sure really, depends on what the tantrum is about and whether they do what you asked them to in the end or not. If Martha has a paddy I tell her that she needs to calm down and when she is calm we can have a cuddle. But I make sure that she does what I wanted her to IYKWIM? But then, encouraging her to walk isnt' quite the same as asking her to tidy up toys or whatever, so if it's a tantrum out of frustration then I think you handled it ok......

We tend to make light of tantrums so she doesn't get the attention she is craving, we go into the other room or whatever, and that helps it to calm down more quickly.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:44 am

Exactly what Ruth said.
If it's a looking for attention tantrum I first of all ask her to stop it. If she doesnt then I calmly say "Mummy is ignoring you until you stop that." And then do just that. Dawn has a habbit of doing this REALLY annyoing noise when she doesn't get her own way. It REALLY grates on me. I just ignore her. Nana and Mum make a game of it :roll: :x

Dawn is really strong and sometimes I can't cuddle her if she's really in a one. You litterally have to let her scream it out. Trying to cuddle her results in being kicked (Like the other day, kick to the face from a toddler. Luckily she'd just kicked her DM's off or I'd have had a nice shiner/burst nose!). Trying to restrain her so she can't kick makes her 100 times worse. So we just have to let her cry it off a bit then cuddle and explain whatever reason for the tantrum in the first place.

I'm being rather hypocritical though :oops: We had THE BIGGEST tantrum by far yesterday. Luckily OH was here because I by passed the irate mum stage tottally and went right to hysterically crying that I couldn't do it anymore :oops:

Sorry, that's turned into a bit of a mope there :oops:

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:27 pm

I think what you did was fine under the circumstances. I've just cuddled Kacie to sleep as she was having a tantrum over something ridiculous because she's over tired and was refusing to sleep :roll:

I think the reason behind the tantrum dictates the way you deal with it. Frustration because they can't manage somehing or are tired, etc is best dealt with with cuddles. A tantrum because you've stopped them doing somehting they shouldn't, like coming in my kitchen when I'm cooking, which she knows by now he's not supposed to do :roll: is best dealt with by ignoring them.

Return to Baby and Toddler