Milk at 2years

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Milk at 2years

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:36 am

Question for you...

Is it 2yrs we can swap them from full fat cows onto semi skimmed?

Isabelle is quite happy to have either as we've occasionally run out of full fat and she's guzzled semi skimmed just as happily...

Just wondering really...

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Milk at 2years

Postby Annette » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:05 am

No idea. I thought you were supposed to give "children" (don't know what the definition of that would be) full fat everything. So interested to hear if there are any further guidelines.

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:06 am

i thought it was 3 years..tho tbh i've kept taneli on full fat anyway cos he is soooo skinny i thought some extra calories would do him good!!!

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:17 am

I always thought it was 5 years, I'm sure semi milk has the same calcium and everything it is just the fat that is different. Georgia has semi-skimmed more as she seems to prefer it (maybe that's why she is dinky :lol: )

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:32 am

It is 2 yrs for semi-skimmed milk. I've just found this :)

http://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/en/fe/pa ... 3=27&n4=49

Katie has a mix of semi and full-fat depending on what I buy.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:38 am

That's interesting and would make our milk buying a little more straight forward! Don't think Charlotte needs the extra fat either looking at the toddler weights thread :lol:

My avatar
joodel
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby joodel » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:35 pm

Annabell karmel in her book "New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner" says full cream over 1 year, not to give semi-skimmed milk before the age of 2 years and not to give skimmed milk till 5 years! Guess you use your common sense for the in betweens!

Am sticking with full cream milk for the time being as my two are both skinny (Katy's only on the 3rd percentile for her weight-but she's still bf 3x a day, so not on any other milk -altho doc wants me to give her a nutritional supplement milkshake thingy as she's also an "independent" eater---as in, will eat anything and everything (as well as she can with 3 teeth :) as long as she can do it herself :roll: -so he thinks she's not always getting as much as she could if i was feeding her off a spoon. sigh :roll: Not too worried as she's healthy and happy and growing length-wise!

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:50 pm

Depends on the frequency I think? If it's a regular drink, ie more than 1 cup a day, and you're not BF, or it's taking the place of breastfeeds then tbh I'd stick to full fat, as there are fat-soluble vits to think about too. But there again I'm not a huge fan of children drinking cow's milk at all...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:02 pm

Should have said really - tis in addition to breastfeeds...
But she LOVES the stuff and drinks close on a pint a day, sometimes more!! :lol:

Do your ladies drink milk Tracy or does their calcium come from other less bovine sources? Just interested to know what other people do really...

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler