hf1

Toddler behaviour and nursery issues

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Toddler behaviour and nursery issues

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:45 pm

If you don't get anywhere with a formal complaint to the nursery manager (perhaps in writing e.g. email make it formal, they HAVE to respond properly then...) then make a complaint to Ofsted - I had to about an issue regarding Isabelle's care and the nursery hadn't followed my complaint through - Ofsted got a bit shirty with them and they cleaned up their act...

It could be some of her behaviour stems from nursery not following their duty of care enough and she may be very unsettled by not having consistency of care... :hug:

Why did they let her get so worked up she bit another child? Or was it a spur of the moment thing? Unfortunately kids do sometimes do these things but it's usually a cry for attention ESPECIALLY when it's out of character like it is here... Sounds like the nursery have some explaining to do... :?

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:48 pm

It was completely out of character. On Friday when I went to get her, they told me she'd been her usual self and had no issues with her at all.

I wonder if, even though she says she's really looking forward to joining the "big girls' room" this is all a response to her "settling in" sessions for the next room, which seem to be very ad-hoc. I think I will have to monitor what her behaviour is like and how it links to which room she is in.

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:12 pm

Yes, try and write a diary of what has happened each day (including any particularly good or bad behaviour) and see if there is a pattern. It may be down to what she has eaten, or what has been discussed or what she has done...

Good luck - and remember "it's just a phase". It won't last for long. xx

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:24 pm

Toddlers of that age do seem to have an overwhelming "it's my world and my way" attitude. If anything challenges that they can't cope and flip out. Regardless of what the situation may be, if it's not fitting in exactly to their agenda they will react. Also at that age, they have very little control over their emotions....in particular anger it seems so once they loose it they can't seem to regain control over themselves.

It might seem silly or irrational to adults but it's the end of the world to the toddler!

It's not easy and on the whole these things usually are phases.....try not to get too upset, stressed and angry over it as you don't want to show her that anger is the answer. She is still young so I don't think explaining coping strategies etc would work but she does need to understand that she can't go around pushing and biting other children. If she's doing it at nursery as well at home then you and the staff need to come up with a form of punishment/wasy to deal with it that can be done both at home/nursery/out etc if she does do something like that.

As for the changing thing I'd definitely bring it up with the manager as it's a form of neglect. If the staff you've spoken to workers already and they've not acted you need to go to the next level.

:hug:

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler