hf1

Playing up at bedtime

My avatar
mummy2threeboys
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Playing up at bedtime

Postby mummy2threeboys » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:55 am

Brandon has always been good going to bed but the last week he's really playing up when it's bedtime. OH has always put him to bed and read his story but the last week he wants me to put him to bed and read about 5 stories. His bedtime is 7 but by the time I settle him down it's about 8-8.30 which means I'm not getting to spend much time with Tristan and do his reading with him. Brandon goes to pre-school 2 mornings a week and the rest of the time he's home with me so I do spend lots of time with him.

Any ideas :-?

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Playing up at bedtime

Postby Shaunie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:29 pm

What time does he get up? Could he be over-tired or under-tired and maybe bedtime needs changing? DS1 only ever plays up when he's OT so we brough his bedtime back a little and he settles better then. :)

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:21 pm

TBH, I think it's an age thing. Bella's been exactly the same recently. Really messing about at bedtime and doing almost anything she can think of to make it later and later. Usually to the extent that DH gives up on it and sends me in to deal with as he's far too soft :x

I'm hoping it's going to settle down again soon.

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:41 pm

Oliver has recently started wanting book after book after book... and where I'm happy that he likes bedtime stories I do want to spend time with DH. So, DS now goes up for a splashy bath after ITNG and is back in his room shortly after 7 for PJ's and nappy. We let him pick his books, normally about 3 as he likes to read them multiple times and sit down to read. We'll read with him until about half 7, but warn him 'last time' or 'last book'. If he protests when it ends, we reiterate that we said 'last time' or 'last book' and stand up to put him in his bed. We'll still tell him a little story when he's in bed though. The warning has taken a while for him to understand, but he responds well most of the time now.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:56 pm

We have always had 3 books and no more, and recently this has been dropped down depending onthe length of the book (some are very long!). And then she has 2 songs, one in bed and one out of bed.

Has he only recently started pre school? if so there may be some separation anxiety. We have had a similar phase tho and we used various techniques to deal with it, but if we say Daddy is doing bedtime then that's what happens, once they work out they can control what goes on then you are lost :giggle: . On the odd occasion that she starts playing up when I leave now I gently but firmly tell her that I'm going, and that I'll be back to check on her in 10 minutes (and I make sure I keep my promise). Repeat to fade! or DH takes a turn.

He may be getting ready to drop his nap as well, worth considering.

Return to Baby and Toddler