hf1

Ditching stair gates

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Ditching stair gates

Postby e586 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:44 pm

we have very steep stairs so ours are staying up for a while yet. Natalie can go up and down them fine, Ryan is mostly ok going up, but can't figure out going down yet, and with a baby on the way I expect to have them up for at least another 2-3 years.

My avatar
Freyarose
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Freyarose » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:48 pm

ive just taken mine off this week, ds2 is 3 and can open them anyway dd has just turned 2,
I mainly kept them on to stop them disappearing upstairs and ramsacking talc or my perfume etc as they are a tag team of mischief. But im mid decorating the hall, stairs and landing so i decided it was time to take them off.

i admit i never really liked them and never used them with ds1, but with having two little ones so close together i ended up getting them,

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:56 pm

For people that use stairgates, can I ask if you have thought about them as part of your evacuation plan in the event of a fire?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:10 pm

If there was a fire in my house i would just open the stairgate :-? am i missing something?

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:12 pm

nappynutter wrote:For people that use stairgates, can I ask if you have thought about them as part of your evacuation plan in the event of a fire?

I use a stairgate at the bottom of the stairs only, it's never closed when we are all upstairs.

We also have very steep stairs, all one flight, and if Kerr decides to take a flying dive off the top stair it could easily mean a broken neck for him. I'm not prepared to take that chance. The stairgate means I don't have to follow him about all day and never do anything else. Each to their own though, everybody's circumstances are different as every child is different. I never needed a stairgate with any of my other children. I didn't just buy this one on a whim.

My avatar
baby_bufters
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby baby_bufters » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:26 pm

I have mine up as they are fixed but only really used to stop the dog
Henry roams the house and goes up and down as he pleases.
And we are a 3 storey house so lots of stair

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:34 pm

nappynutter wrote:For people that use stairgates, can I ask if you have thought about them as part of your evacuation plan in the event of a fire?

Well of course!

Actually the fireman who came round recently didn't mention them at all...

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:54 pm

nappynutter wrote:They actually cause more injuries.

Than what?

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:59 pm

littlesez wrote:If there was a fire in my house i would just open the stairgate :-? am i missing something?

So, how would you do that if the stairgate was burning hot (it's metal remember and metal heats up in a fire)?

Also, surely if you have a stairgate, you have at least one small child. Do you put them down (in the dark/smoke/flames/heat) to open the gate?

It's usually dark in a fire (smoke etc.), are you likely to trip over the edge of the gate if you can't see it?

I'm asking because in a fire people panic and things like stairgates add extra panic and you need to have thought about how you will deal with these extra steps.

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler