hf1

Sleep at the childminder's

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Sleep at the childminder's

Postby sim » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Ok, so Ewan has settled in really well at the childminders over the last 2 weeks (needs a whole post of its own) EXCEPT for sleeping.

He sleeps about 10 hours overnight fairly consistently (only interrupted by teething or illness really) and when he is at home he would have 2-3 hours after lunch and is easy to put down. However, at the childminder he is having only 45 mins to 1 hour most days and is being a right pickle about going to sleep. Today he napped there for 30 mins :shock: She is following our request about not doing CC or CIO

This can't possibly be enough sleep can it? He is very tired in the evenings and wants lots of cuddles but isn't melting down etc more often than he did before DH went back to work.

Any ideas about what to do? Will he eventually get the hang of sleeping there or will we just end up with a massively overtired and furious toddler?

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Sleep at the childminder's

Postby AnnetteandBen » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:22 pm

Sleep is the one thing children can battle more when settling than anything else. Often the child is too worried they are going to miss out on something to settle to sleep even if all the other children are asleep or playing very quietly and it's a bit different being away from home.

Depending on how she is getting him to sleep, might also explain the reason for him waking earlier than you would expect. For some children I prefer using a pushchair and then I can rock them to sleep and if they start to stir I can generally rock them back to a deeper sleep. If she is using a cot, providing some lightly used bed linen from home or sleeping bag could help, plus a toy or comforter associated with sleep. If he is falling asleep in the car or in an odd position then waking up from not being comfortable could also be an option.

Can't see your ticker on the post to see exactly how old Ewan is either as around 11 to 13 months their sleep pattern starts to change during the day time and some children can survive on less sleep during the day than you think - I had 1 child who would sleep for 30 mins at 4pm after coming at 9am and he was 12 months!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:32 pm

Thanks for the reply Annette!

He is 17 months old and dropped to one long nap a couple of months ago. He has his comforter bear with him but has never used a sleeping bag for naps, only at night. Perhaps I could sleep with one of his blankets tonight and send that for his naps as we do put a light blanket over him at nap time. She was using the pushchair to rock him to sleep to as he refused the cot in the first week and he was sleeping about an hour to an hour and a half. I think this week she has been trying the cot so I may ask her to go back to the push chair.

He is also an incredibly curious (nosy!!!) child so I suspect that as soon as he comes into light sleep he hears things going on in the house and doesn't want to miss out.

I guess if he is coping with the evening routine and still sleeping through most nights I shouldn't worry too much - maybe let him catch up on the weekend a bit.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:59 pm

It's strange, we are having the opposite problem, DD sleeps better at nursery than she does at home, it winds me up as I could do with those long naps when I'm at home with her! She is almost 12 months and has on average 1.5 hours sleep during the day, and anything from 9-11 hours a night (she still wakes most nights). If he seems happy I wouldn't worry. If he wasn't sleeping at all that would be more of an issue.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Martha gradually adapted to sleeping at the CMs but she has moved around at her house IYKWIM, she started in the travel cot in her DDs room, then for a while slept in the buggy in the living room, then as she got a bit older and less likely to sleep she was moved onto the bed in her DSs room, now if she needs a nap she just lays down on the sofa under a blankie. She will never nap at home now unless we are in the car.

Give it some time, I bet he will settle down ina week or so :hug:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:31 am

We are going to ask our CM to take our little one for a walk to get her to sleep. I have real worries about her sleeping at the CM. It took us over 6 m to get her to nap at home properly, so I really dont know how she will manage. Even hubs cant get her to go down for her nap!

Any way, enough of our issues! why not ask your cm to take your LO for a walk for an extra nap?

Em x

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:34 am

Martha always went down for a nap no bother at the CM but she wouldn't at home...............

Return to Baby and Toddler