hf1

What pain relief did you have in labour?

What pain relief did you have in labour?

Pain relief!! What pain relief!
22%
Gas/air
33%
Pethidine
8%
Epidural
19%
Other
17%

Total votes : 36
My avatar
lili
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby lili » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:45 am

had a water birth with both and would reccommend it to anyone, the positions you can get in to with the support of the water really helped, and the midwife put a hot shower on my back to ease the severe back pain you get, brilliant!

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:02 am

I definitely want a waterbirth next time! I'm having a home water birth :D

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:04 am

I had just Gas and Air alth0ugh I did use a TENS machine at h0me which I th0ught wasn't d0ing anything until I t00k it 0ff at the h0spital!!!

It all happened very quickly (3 h0urs from 4cm t0 fully dilated) and the gas and air was fine f0r me, I used it very well :lol: :lol: In the end I had an episi0t0my and a vent0use delivery (alth0ugh I did the last bit 0f pushing myself) s0 I think they gave me s0me l0cal anaesthetic befr0re the cut.

I w0uld d0 the same again I think as the gas and air als0 gave me s0mething t0 c0ncentrate 0n IYSWIM. it helped be t0 keep my breathing calm and c0llected which pr0bably helped in its 0wn way.

My avatar
ginchyworld
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby ginchyworld » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:12 pm

I had tens and then gas&air when I got closer to the pushing stage. To be honest had I wanted an epi I don't think there'd have been time to get the anaesthetist there to do it!

My avatar
BabyLongLegs
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby BabyLongLegs » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:04 pm

Just Gas and Air for both of mine. With Dan I had a mask whick was brilliant, but with Joel they gave me a mouthpiece, which made me gag.....so I mainly had Joel pain relief free.....
God that hurt..... :lol:

Love
Sarah xXx

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:17 pm

I had gas and air for a few hours with Harry.

Katie was a home waterbirth - I had gas and air for the last 20ish mins but would have done without if I'd realised how close to delivery I was :lol:

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:11 pm

My two were a complete contrast.
I planned a home birth with Lockie but transferred to hospital because of slow progress, ended up with epidural, syntocin drip, episiotomy, 3 hours pushing stage and a DVT three days later. Not fun

Zac was born at home with my tens machine and a little bit of gas and air at the end. 7 minute pushing stage, no stitches and no DVT. Fab.

Wish I'd known more about the implications of having an epidural before I had one.

My avatar
madcatlady
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby madcatlady » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:22 am

My three were all different too - and I have to say - owwwwwww to the 3rd degree tear Annette :?

With Jake I wanted a homebirth but wasn't allowed one (this was nearly 13 years ago) and I managed the pain at home with TENS until 2 hours before I delivered him. I had gas and air in hospital mainly because they made me lie flat on a bed on the monitors :roll:
I had an episiotomy *yowch* but gave birth after less than 7 hours labour, and had all the joys of an hour of stitching, then 3 days on the ward before they would allow me home.

With Oz I had a planned homebirth, TENS for the 90 mins until the midwife arrived after my first massive contraction woke me up, then about 20 mins of gas and air helping me stave off delivery until the 2nd midwife arrived :shock: Was all a bit hair raising for the midwife and as soon as her partner arrived he was born in a couple of pushes. 2 hours 45 mins in total! I had a couple of stitches from his chubby little shoulders but the recovery time was just sooooo fast!

With Edward I had another planned homebirth but wanted to use the bath instead of TENS. We also knew he was going to be a BIG baby, as Oz had been 9lb, but nothing like what he turned out to be :wink:
This time I was 3 hours 50 mins from start to finish, and spent most of the time with my belly in the bath, just breathing through contractions and laughing/fighting with my OH about names!
I moved to all fours on my bed and just breathing about 30 mins before delivering him which allowed the midwife to realise that he had turned from posterior to anterior presentation.
I honestly felt so relaxed I didn't believe I was really ready to push or that I was fully dilated.
My midwife realised after 1st push that something wasn't quite right, and on doing an internal exam discovered that one of his shoulders was stuck behind my pelvis where he had turned :shock:
I was SO lucky to have had such an experienced midwife in the situation, because she had to manually pull his shoulder round into the correct position and talk me through pushing to deliver him as fast as possible.
Somehow she managed all of this, including her partner not being able to find his heartbeat, without me getting worried in the slightest and he was delivered in 2 pushes - all 10lb 13oz of him :o
Somehow I managed the fast delivery of my mahoooosive baby without the need for any stitches at all :D
I was totally shattered afterwards, and OH said that he had been scared witless during the delivery, but I have photos from 20 mins after giving birth where we all (Me nursing Edward, OH, both midwives, and my cat) sat on the bed drinking tea and eating jaffa cakes.

If I have any more, unlikely, I will want more homebirth loveliness!

My avatar
caeganol
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby caeganol » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:57 am

Well,

I feel bad as I was too posh to push I think :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: so I went for epidural the fist time(Terrible pain as the baby was posterior(likely to cause more backpain and that started 48hrs before and ended up in emergency c section.

2nd time I had spinal as this was a planned one and I am glad coz he was posterior too.

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler