hf1

What pain relief did you have in labour?

What pain relief did you have in labour?

Pain relief!! What pain relief!
22%
Gas/air
33%
Pethidine
8%
Epidural
19%
Other
17%

Total votes : 36
My avatar
JennyWren
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: What pain relief did you have in labour?

Postby JennyWren » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:05 pm

Steph, I did laugh about your comments about the snoring between pushes and the hallucinations. Sorry, I know I shouldn't have because apart from that it sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare. I had a 3 day labour with Livia and not a lot of sleep each night, but not as painful as you describe. I was glad I had decided to go for a homebirth, even though the midwife kept trying to dissuade me because I was low on iron (read up on it and found it didn't matter that much). I think otherwise had I gone into hospital and laboured for 3 days they would have tried to induce me and give me c-section - it seems everyone I know who has gone into hospital over for babies over the last few years has ended up with a c-section, including my SIL who is an A&E consultant herself.
Had Ethan and Stella in hospital and it wasn't that great, generally got completely ignored, hubby got sent home because visiting hours were over and I was left in a side room, fully dilated and being horribly sick, with no pain relief. With Stella the midwife hadn't checked the resus equipment properly, even though there was meconium in my waters and thank God the on call paed was quick thinking and suctioned her out with her mouth. I could see my husband out of the corner of my eye wrestling madly with the resus equipment, trying to plug another set in - scary!
Homebirth was by far the best of the 3, especially being able to have a glass of champagne after and hit the sack!!

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:59 pm

sounds like a lucky escape to me! suctioning by mouth is much gentler than by machine, and meconium being present doesn't always = needing suction, good idea to avoid if possible cos it can cause or contribute to feeding problems (oral aversion)...

Steph, wow at your labour. The 3cm stuff might have been your cervix being 'shy'? They can undilate, particularly when someone's sticking fingers up your fanjo...

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:04 am

trogette wrote:The 3cm stuff might have been your cervix being 'shy'? They can undilate, particularly when someone's sticking fingers up your fanjo...

Sorry but Tracy, you have such a way with words!!! lmao!! :lol:

My avatar
raffertygrey
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby raffertygrey » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:50 pm

JennyWren wrote:Steph, I did laugh about your comments about the snoring between pushes and the hallucinations. Sorry, I know I shouldn't have because apart from that it sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare.

Oh no, please DO laugh!! If I hadn't've laughed, I'd have cried...and cried and cried :lol:

@Tracy, yes I've heard of that happening..but then again it was another 24 hours before I actually gave birth, so my cervix must have been practically agrophobic! (But then again I was measured at 3cm on the Friday morning, the first time I was examined, so according to them was stuck at 3cm for AT LEAST 36 hours, probably more because I'd been having pains since the Tues/Weds :shock: :? ).

Anyway, I got her out naturally in the end and I am sure that by planning a homebirth and having a doula (and the hypno), I def saved myself from a whole catalogue of intervention.

The only thing that haunts me now is feeling the unbeleivable urge to push and them not letting me..and then when they did, the urge seemed to have gone and I didn't know what to do, horrible. What I want to know is who the f**k decided on the 10cm rule and since when have babies heads & midwives fingers been all the same size!!?? Next time, I'm going to push when I bloody want to, thank you very much :twisted:

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:22 am

With Emma i laboured and delivered in the birthing pool so could only have gas and air, i was screaming out for an epidural though but was too late :roll:

With Evie i got my epidural but it didn't work properly so gas and air again, makes me sick though. Was sick throughout both labours with it. :roll:

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:23 am

I don't think I've answered this yet. I had gas and air and tens. I think if I hadn't had oxytocin pumped into me I'd have managed with just the gas and air. They took the gas and air off me for the pushing phase though, so was just tens through that. Oh and nothing for my nightmare 3rd phase which lasted about a million years and seemed more painful than the whole rest of the labour.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:35 am

Just seen this too.

Labour was more painful than I could have believed possible. All my contractions were coming as doubles (two for every one, no break between, OUCH!!).

I started with G&A, which sent me really silly. Then had pethidine, which did absolutely nothing. Then begged for an epidural, which failed down one side, then had a full spinal block for the ventouse delivery, in case I had to have a section.

2nd stage was only 5 hours (with 4 mins of pushing, LOL) and third stage was 20 mins I think. Can't remember, was well out of it by then.

Shame DD got whisked straight to SCBU :cry:

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:10 pm

Everything available first time round, ending up with EMCS. This time G&A and a shot of pethidine.

It's funny, before having Connor I was adamant that the one thing I wouldn't have was pethidine, but I ended up having that before I even tried the G&A (was worried G&A would make me feel sick as I was already throwing up during labour). But it wasn't enough and I moved onto epidural - I'd already had my waters broken and a drip to speed things up, and at that stage we didn't know Connor was in a bad position. Then spinal block for EMCS.

With Finn labour was soooo much quicker, but I didn't feel I could manage on G&A alone. As I knew the pethidine had helped last time I went for that option again. Ironically, by the time it got to the pushing stage the midwife told me the pethidine was probably wearing off, and that it doesn't do much to help with pain at that stage anyway. So I suppose I got through the hardest part with G&A only. What a difference!

Amanda x

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:10 am

DS1 - didnt get asked what I wanted, MW just strapped me to the bed and gave me a shot of pethidine and a mask for the gas and air - it was awful, I cant remember anything from midnight to 7.30am and he was born at 9.30am, just confusion!

DS2 - again, didnt get asked, was told I had a half shot of pethidine but it didnt have time to work, he was born about 20 minutes after we got to the hospital

Evie - well she was born in a new hospital, I laboured in the bath for about an hour, then got into the delivery suite, propped up on the back of the bed and towards the very end had a few gulps of gas and air - didnt do anything for the pain, just gave me something to focus on, and Evie was born literally 5 minutes after I got onto the bed. The nicest birth of all - I felt in control of everything and didnt have old mw's hoking and poking my bits every minute or so.

Sadie xx

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler