hf1

What pain relief did you have in labour?

What pain relief did you have in labour?

Pain relief!! What pain relief!
22%
Gas/air
33%
Pethidine
8%
Epidural
19%
Other
17%

Total votes : 36
My avatar
manda224
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: What pain relief did you have in labour?

Postby manda224 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:09 pm

i had gas and air for the contractions nothing for when i was pushing him out
xx

My avatar
joodel
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby joodel » Sat May 10, 2008 2:48 pm

Ds was a home birth (unplanned, although I was booked in to the private "home-birth section of the local maternity hospital). No pain relief for either of them - just breathing, walking, visualisation (worked better with number 2 as I felt more like I knew what was going to happen, having been through it all before with ds. I had two wonderful private midwives who were fantastic during labour with ds! Laboured in the bath at home for a while with ds, then on the bed and in a squat position for the pushing. Unfortunately had a serious post-birth complication with ds and ended up in hospital needing blood transfusions etc. BUT, my midwives still managed to bet me back with my baby and bf within 2 hours of birth!

DD was a hospital birth because of my previous complication, but also no pain relief and my lovely midwives. Unfortunately dd's heart beat went down with every contraction as there was a bit of cord compression, so although I wanted to be in the birthing pool, I ended up strapped to a monitor most of the labour and lying on my left side as this seemed to help her heart beat. She was v active between contractions (kicked me like mad!) which was v encouraging. Whole thing was abotu 5 hours from start to finish and felt very positive and in control the whole time. Also felt like I could really trust my body and found the pushing stage so much easier than with dd...I knew where to concentrate my energies this time (iykwim?)

Not planning a third, but if we did and I was allowed...would go for another home birth au natural!!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu May 15, 2008 9:22 am

None!! :D I did use a tens machine for a while - not sure if it helped with the pain but it was good to concentrate on something other than the pain - but apart from that I had no pain relief :D

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu May 15, 2008 9:47 am

It was an epidural, 1 x put in and lasted about 7 hours, 2 x pulled out needle and extra boost, lasted about another 7 hours, 3 x an extra dose for the operating theatre side of the labour and pushing and pulling, cutting and sewing.

Tried 2 sucks on the gas and air and hated it.

My avatar
nicola g
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nicola g » Sun May 18, 2008 7:31 pm

With Hayley i had gas & air also diamorphine (hospital)

With Heather i had nothing at all (homebirth)

with Dafydd i had spinal block for elective section (breech)

My avatar
Steph
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Steph » Thu May 22, 2008 11:09 am

With my first I had pethedine and a few sucks of gas and air(which I hated), then with the others I had nothing.

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler