Harriet won't stay in bed - advice please

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Thankyou Moderators :)

Harriet won't stay in bed - advice please

Postby Allie » Tue May 06, 2008 7:33 am

Harriet kept bumping into the sides of the cot and trying to climb out so we thought that it was probably time to take the sides off. Well we did this 2 nights ago and it's been a nightmare frankly. She just won't stay in bed. She also won't go to sleep as she finds her room very interesting :? . The first night she was still awake at 10pm but she did finally fall asleep in her bed but she was asleep on the floor the next morning. Last night she was still awake at 11pm and was showing no signs of going to sleep so I ended up fetching the travel cot and putting her in there. She went to sleep quite quickly after that. Were we too hasty in taking the sides off the cot? She's almost 18 months old. Is it just the excitement of having the freedom of her room and she'll get used to it soon?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Allie

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Harriet won't stay in bed - advice please

Postby eviesmummy » Tue May 06, 2008 7:48 am

Hi Allie - we did the same thing with Evie about 6 weeks ago and put her into her own bed as we thought she was ready for it - well, we were wrong :lol: First night was great and she slept soundly, second night she thought it was hoola time and didnt stay in her bed at all. I ended up dragging her cot back into her bedroom at some stage in the middle of the night and plonking her back into it and she lay down and went to sleep.

I am going to wait now until she understands clearly when I say she has to stay in her own bed - she just doesnt understand at the minute - perhaps Harriet is the same (they are both similar ages).

In saying that I would worry about her climbing out - could you make her room less interesting for her, put toys up high where she cant reach them, have a favourite toy in the bed with her, let a toy sleep in the bed all day and then she associates this toy with the bed? Or do as we had to do with ds1, and lay in beside her in the bed, with lights out, and pretend to go to sleep yourself. Hopefully the excitement of being able to escape from her bed will wear off soon.

Sadie xx

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Tue May 06, 2008 9:48 am

I think it's just going to take a bit of time for the novelty to wear off, regardless of how old she is when you do it. You could try the 'pop-in-and-out' idea, where you put them in bed with their usual pre-bed activity pattern and mooch about in and near her bedroom, tidying up and just generally making a little bit of noise, being *present* and putting her back in bed when she gets out. Shouldn't involve any crying, but it can take a few hours the first couple of days, and you can have a 'training blip' around day 5, and should take about a week for her to get the idea. Or you could just leave her to it, as long as she's not breaking anything or getting into dangerous situations. We had a single bed mattress on the floor and the doorway gated for dd1's room from about 10m, which I wouldn't do now because we co-sleep but it worked after a fashion for us back then.

My avatar
joodel
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby joodel » Tue May 06, 2008 11:16 am

My ds only moved into a bed when he was about 2yrs and 4months old in the end. We tried moving him when he started climbing out of his cot (20months), but it didn't really work with him, and he kept climbing out of bed, or not settling. Also loved exploring his room and all the toys etc. AND took to "playing" with the creams and powders I had at his nappy change table. :roll: We also ended up making the room much less interesting and they have no toys in there any more. He still sleeps with a bed guard (will be 3 in 2weeks time :shock: !)

He started climbing out of his cot from about 20months, and we just used to put him back in. The best thing that worked was not to make a fuss about it...if we fussed and paid too much attention he just did it again and again (like a game!). It was really hard not to get worked up about it all, but did work best when we just went in there matter-of-fact-like and put him back to bed. "Trogette"'s ideas sound fab!

At the end of the day we decided it wasn't the end of the world to have him sleeping in a camp cot until he was ready to move into a bed, and the transition was pretty smooth when it did happen. We did ahve a couple of nights of climbing out of bed (still do, actually), but mostly he's fine.

Good luck!
Judy

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Tue May 06, 2008 7:21 pm

We also did this. Lockie was about 18 months when he fell out of his cot. We panicked and changed it into a toddler bed straight away. He was too young to understand that that was his bed now and wouldn't sleep in it at all. It was converted back to a cot pretty quick.
That was almost a year ago and he's still in his cot and hasn't tried to climb out again. I think falling out scared him.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu May 15, 2008 9:33 am

How are you getting on now?

We have recently moved Charlotte to a big bed and initially the excitement of access to toys was just too much for her. so we had to move any distractions out of her room. We then found that we needed to sit next to her bed and even rest our head on her bed to encourage her that it is sleep time not play time. She takes varying lengths of time to wind down depending on what she has been doing but we have now moved all her toys back in and if she sits up or asks to play we just say "no, time for sleep" and eventually she lies down and goes to sleep.

It now takes about 1/2 hour of sitting with her to get her to sleep - it is not ideal but I hate her crying or having a battle with her over bedtime so this suits us as she remains calm and there are no tears. Once she is asleep she will stay there until morning, although that was 5.45am this morning!!

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Thu May 15, 2008 1:31 pm

Charliemum wrote:How are you getting on now?

We have recently moved Charlotte to a big bed and initially the excitement of access to toys was just too much for her. so we had to move any distractions out of her room. We then found that we needed to sit next to her bed and even rest our head on her bed to encourage her that it is sleep time not play time. She takes varying lengths of time to wind down depending on what she has been doing but we have now moved all her toys back in and if she sits up or asks to play we just say "no, time for sleep" and eventually she lies down and goes to sleep.

It now takes about 1/2 hour of sitting with her to get her to sleep - it is not ideal but I hate her crying or having a battle with her over bedtime so this suits us as she remains calm and there are no tears. Once she is asleep she will stay there until morning, although that was 5.45am this morning!!

Better but bedtime is still a bit of a trial. Most nights she climbs out of bed and unless I leave some toys around she screams the place down so I have resorted to leaving the lid off the toybox and letting her play herself to sleep. It usually means that she falls asleep on the floor :oops: but it seems to work. I just watch the baby monitor and go up and lift her into bed as soon as I can. Bad mummy :oops: .

My avatar
paw foot
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby paw foot » Thu May 15, 2008 6:36 pm

I have no advise to add I just thought it got easier and not more difficult :shock: Daniel has an eye infection at the moment and is happy in his cot till about 10 then cries until I let him co sleep :roll:

My avatar
JennyWren
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby JennyWren » Wed May 21, 2008 12:56 pm

scrunchkins wrote:
Better but bedtime is still a bit of a trial. Most nights she climbs out of bed and unless I leave some toys around she screams the place down so I have resorted to leaving the lid off the toybox and letting her play herself to sleep. It usually means that she falls asleep on the floor :oops: but it seems to work. I just watch the baby monitor and go up and lift her into bed as soon as I can. Bad mummy :oops: .

Don't give yourself a hard time, you're not a bad mum. I think that because Liv is my 3rd I'm a bit more relaxed about things that would have made me feel very stressed before. It is a difficult transition and young children/toddlers can be a bit taxing at times!
Obviously you just want her to sleep and to be happy doing so. I think you're right avoiding making it a very stressful time because that could make the sleep routine more difficult.
We were lucky as Liv didn't seem to question that she had to stay behind the cot side since she moved to her bed a couple of months ago. Well, that was until yesterday when the penny dropped that she could get out. I found her having a picnic with about 10 barbies (her sister's) and a plate of plastic fried eggs! Today I resorted to bribery, saying that 'girls who had lovely sleeps got to watch their favourite films'! This worked a treat, but I guess you will have to wait a couple of months before you can use that kind of incentive with Harriet!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler