hf1

Why won't she sleep! :(

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Why won't she sleep! :(

Postby clothsister » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:56 am

so my 6 week old is driving me mad and I feel like the worst mum ever as it really tests my patience! Some nights she's an angel and other nights like tonight it's game over for my sanity. Bearing in mind she only naps for a maximum of 4 or 5 hours a day! She went to bed at 10.50 last night got up at 1.50 which isn't so bad in itself but then she's been up since then and will not go back to sleep. I've tried every method i can think of to get her to go to sleep... Bearing in mind most of the time she goes to sleep by lying in her moses basket looking round giggling to herself until she drops off. Honestly not even sure if this post is making sense just needed to moan. :( x

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Why won't she sleep! :(

Postby clothsister » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:58 am

ps the 4 or 5 hours in the day isn't in one long sleep it's in lots of little ones and 1 nap in the afternoon where she'll sleep for 2 hours but she only does this when i'm out. Therefore i know it's not that she's got day and night mixed up!

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:51 am

Hi Clothsister :wave:

This sleep depravation is really hard and exhausting and so feel free to moan away :hug:

Ive been out of the newborn loop for a couple of years now so not sure what to advise, am sure someone who has been through it more recently can give you better advice.

All I can suggest is keeping her fed, warm, and comfortable; when she wakes at night try and keep the lights down low, keep the routine simple so if she is hungry then feed, change, wrap her up and pop her back in her moses basket and let her take her own time to go back to sleep. During the day again, at nap times, try and darkened room and keep it as relaxed as possible.

And Im sure everyone tells you this anyway, but once she sleeps, you sleep too - forget everything else, you need your rest too especially in these really early days :hug:

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:38 am

thanks. Just needed to get it off my chest. She didn't go back to sleep until 5.30 and she's back up now to be fed. Ouch. X

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:48 am

:hug: :hug: I remember Steven being like that, but he did eventually sort himself out and sleep more overnight than during the day. Just keep doing what you're doing, keep the lights off if you can and just have a hallway one on low, don't speak to her too much and she'll soon understand the difference. At this age I don't think they really comprehend which is which and just wake/sleep when they feel tired - given the opportunity I would too! You're doing a fab job, so feel free to moan as we're all here to listen. Just putting your feet up and relaxing when she naps during the day will help. If she's not feeding the whole time she's awake during the day, is there a friend/family you could ask to come and sit with her for just an hour maybe once or twice a week so you can get a bit of sleep? Hope she sorts her days/nights soon :hug:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:54 am

Awwwww sweetie I can't believe she did this to you when she was doing so well when we spoke yesterday :hug: :hug: :hug: also can't believe that for once I was out most of the afternoon and missed you posting earlier!

She may just surprise you and give you a fab night tonight or have a couple of really good naps today. I agree with what the others have said too but from what you have said you are doing all the 'right' things, they just take a while to 'get it' :giggle: :giggle:

Lots of love to you. Dont' forget to post about the long baby thing in nappy chat :wink:

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:23 am

clothmama wrote:Dont' forget to post about the long baby thing in nappy chat :wink:

You've had your orders :giggle: :giggle:

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:39 am

aww sleep deprivation is horrid, isn't it?

like the others have said, keep lights down/off, minimise communication, don't make direct eye contact and hopefully she'll get it. my little one is now nearly 9 months old and is still causing me nighttime problems, but she did settle down a lot more at about 8 or 9 weeks.

Actually, one thing that made a difference with us,and which goes against UK advice (not sure of the current Aus advice) is we moved her into her own cot in her own room then. So she disturbed us less and we disturbed her less, and sleep definitely improved immediately.

What helped with my son was after his bedtime :bf: I made sure he had as much as he wanted, then gave him an extra bottle of expressed milk. From the day i did that at 6 weeks he slept through. Sadly dd won't take the bottle though, so hasn't worked this time around.

Feel free to moan, there's a lot of us on here having similar issues :hug:

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:06 am

Thanks all. Unfortunately it wasn't a mix up between day and night as i forgot to mention that all she did for that 3 hours of being awake was scream and scream and scream. Could cope if i thought she'd just got confused. Would love to nap in the day but the longest nap she has during the day at home is about 40 minutes. Oh well another day begins! No family locally that i'd trust with her my mum and dad are not what you'd call good parents and my sisters all live miles away including clothmama who would be the best baby sitter... Stupid australia! Oh well moan and feeling sorry for myself over. Thanks for all the lovely advice. Just wish it wasn't stuff i was doing... Think i was hoping for a magic wand. :) X

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler