hf1

Why won't she sleep! :(

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Why won't she sleep! :(

Postby choccylisa » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:11 am

:hug: Think we all wish for a magic wand at that age. If she's screaming, do you think she's got wind? Is she sicky or ok during the day? Was wondering colic when you said that, Lani used to be terrible in the evening and overnight til we started using infacol in her bottles and she was far more settled. Have you spoken to your health visitor? :hug:

My avatar
mrssproggit
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mrssproggit » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:17 am

Sounds like you're doing all the "right" things, hun. It is really hard being sleep deprived, and it seems like it'll never end but it will - promise!! :hug: :hug:

I'm not sure if you've heard of it, but I read a book called the "No cry sleep solution", which basically talks about different "sleep associations" etc that may help your lo learn about times to sleep. The darkened room is great, but also things like having a "comforter", really little babes liking to feel all wrapped up/swaddled, routine (same at every sleep time), etc. Initially it actually suggests making a note of EXACTLY how much sleep your lo has (down to the minute!), so then you can see how much she has and work from there.

Here's a link to her website:

http://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/advice ... hp?nid=425

I actually emailed her directly, and she was really lovely and replied within a couple of days with advice and extracts from her book she thought would help us out too!

Hope that helps a little. I know it's really hard (my dd spent about 5 months waking every 1.5-2 hrs overnight, so I know exactly how hard it must be for you!) :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: for you both

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:24 am

:hug: :hug: I wish I was closer Lucy :cry: by the time we get to Europe she'll be sleeping just fine for you if that is any consolation :hohoho: :hohoho: At least it is Friday so Neil will be home with you so you can get more sleep over the weekend.

clothsister wrote:all she did for that 3 hours of being awake was scream and scream and scream

See that is a bit different as that is out of the norm for her entirely from what you've said. i'd also wonder if she perhaps has a bit of wind or a tummy ache - dont' forget there are lots of bugs around atm as well. :hug: :hug:

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:31 am

She's six weeks old, her behaviour is completely normal. :wink:

Babies are supposed to wake regularly at night to be fed and frequent waking helps protect them from SIDS too. If you want to make it easier for yourself then try co-sleeping. :D

http://www.centreforattachment.com/inde ... id=6&id=24

I wouldn't try any kind of sleep training, babies are not able to self soothe until they are between the age of 2 and 3 and attempting this can cause all sorts of problems in later life. Also, avoiding eye contact with a 6 week old baby is likely to cause anxiety in the baby and lead to the parent not being able to read their baby's cues.

Follow your baby, she knows the right thing to do. :wink:

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby knees_on » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:48 am

i have no magic wand, they never hang around at our house! But after 5 kids, one only 6 months, just be assurred this is fairly normal. Although the screaming must be for a reason seeing as its not what she usually does, they do have worse days. Does sound like colic though. An infusion of fennel seeds can give them relief, if she will take it.

The early days are soooo hard but they are gone in a flash. After 3 of mine settling arond 3 months, this has been hard. But then you get days where its easier aznd you feel more human. If you can just try and put it in perspective. Even 6 months of horrible feels like nothing once they reach 2! And also dont forget that eventhough she may keep screaming you are there for her and she needs you. :)

it WILL get better. If I start feeling deperate i come on here to whinge makes me feel loads better!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:13 pm

I hope you are having a better day with her and she is at least napping for you and feeling happier in herself :hug: :hug:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:10 pm

She is still really tiny so i agree with nappynutter that it sounds normal :hug: Izzy had really wakeful times at that age i got hubby to do a bit of staying up late and then i would be on duty through the early hours. It meant that i went to bed about 8 or 9pm at the latest that way i would have a good few hours sleep before i had to get up and feed again.

I would just recommend having lots of PJ days cuddle up in bed. sleep deprivation is hard but its only for a short time whilst she gets herself adjusted in the big wide world. remember she was with you every second snuggled up for 9 months so it takes a while for them to figure things out :hug:

I would recomeend no cry sleep solution too. It is not sleep training it is completely the opposite of sleep training and has lots of advice about co sleeping and breast feeding mums too. I wish i had read ot before i needed it as it has lots of good tips its separated into 0-4 months and then over 4 months
take it easy xxx

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:39 pm

If she's not settling at night it could be she's uncomfortable...
I'm sure if she was awake and happy it would be easier to deal with!

Have you done all the usual checks:
Too cold
Too hot
Wet Nappy (even a bit wet sometimes upset Isabelle and once she'd been changed and fed again she re-settled)
pooped
Hungry/thirsty
Windy

I would also suggest you try removing all dairy from your diet if you are breastfeeding as it can really disrupt the sleep pattern if they're even slightly intolerant to it.

I was sometimes up in the night with Isabelle swinging/swaying with her, even slinging and dancing sometimes! Bouncing/rocking and singing etc all just to calm her...

Sometimes just putting the lights and tv on downstairs helped settle her...

Are you co-sleeping? If not perhaps try making the bed safe (no pillows or duvet near her and a wall/rolled up towl to stop her falling out) just laying her next to you in bed and shh&patting her while you feed her lying down (if you're breastfeeding ) might help re-settle her...

When Isabelle's reflux was bad I would doze off with her lying on my chest in bed... Uncomfortable and akward but better than no sleep at all!!

What position is she put to sleep in? If you're putting her on her back you could try side-lying with a rolled up blanket to support the back and stop her rolling back. Grace only really slept on her front and I know Isabelle had hysterics on her back but I wasn't confident enough to put her on her front like I was with Grace (but Isabelle was prem where Grace was full term)

And massive hugs - the sleep depravation was awful... I really don't remember how much either of mine slept in the daytime but I know with Isabelle it wasn't much - 30min snatches here and there with a few hours if I was really really lucky, same at nights sometimes...

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:14 pm

thanks all. Had health visitor over earlier and she was really helpful. Am hoping if i tank her up i might get a couple of hours. All i need is 1 good night sleep to feel more human. :) fingers crossed hey. X

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler