Ryans is waking in the night

My avatar
moonsunstars2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Ryans is waking in the night

Postby moonsunstars2 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:54 pm

:hug:

I've had a little experience of night terrors with ben......

Ben's had a couple of night terrors before, he'd look like he was awake (eyes open) but just crying/sometimes screaming. If we tried to comfort him it just seemed to make him worse. if it happens any more (which fortunately is rarely) we just sit next to him not speaking or really doing anything, just being there with him (more to make sure he's ok - it sounds - and looks for that matter - very frightening - ben just didn't look like ben iykwm).

with night terrors - from what I understand, the person will look completely awake but infact they are not - and unlike with a nightmare - will have absolutely no recollection of it the next day. They will in the end just lay back down and look like nothing was ever happening (ben look like he'd been in a deep sleep the whole time - not up screaming the house down for 1/2 hour).

I've read before that it can be triggered by many things - a change of routine, overtiredness, stress.... Ben normally had his when he got overtired and upset at bedtime. Maybe try to keep a sleep diary - has the daytime been ok? any overtiredess/big change/upset - maybe there is a pattern to when it happens? I *think* it also happens between the stages of sleep (can't remember which ones tho?!)

I've also read that when a child is having a night terror, not to wake them but to make sure they are safe, that you are there for them if they do wake up or need you. We woke Ben up on the first one he ever had (we didn't know what the hell was going on!!) and we ended up being upfor ages.....

hope that helps

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Ryans is waking in the night

Postby laceybat » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:20 am

thank you for all the advice he's still awking but not as much or long :hug:

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler