hf1

Tips for a windy unsettled baby

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Tips for a windy unsettled baby

Postby Annette » Sat May 17, 2008 9:54 am

OK so Ben seems to be very windy. I don't remember Charlotte being so bad but then I can't really remember tbh.

My problem is that with the 2 of them it is quite difficult to constantly hold Ben and that is all he wants to do otherwise he screams. During the day I can handle it although it is difficult to play with Charlotte. Worse is at night - he will feed but then be awake for anything up to 3 hours - I think it is wind as he scrunches up and can really squeal as opposed to just cry.

It seems that eventually if I can get him to burp he will go straight to sleep but I am struggling to get him to bring anything up. I have tried giving him infacol and dentinox but these don't seem to help really.

The other problem is that he seems to want to feed alot but I am not sure if this is because he is hungry or just needs it for comfort. Or maybe he isn't feeding effectively which is causing the wind and the hunger?? He is weeing alot but does not poo anywhere near as much as Charlotte did - it is also quite dark as opposed to the bright yellow I remember.

I would just like to get a little more sleep and be able to put him down for more than 10 minutes while I play with Charlotte. Mark is feeling a little helpless too as he will happily take Ben when he is here but then he seems to constantly root for food and so he ends up giving him back for a feed. he wants me to express so he can do it but how can I find the time when I am always tired, holding Ben or feeding?

Anyone got any magic ideas? Or is this just how it goes?

My avatar
sarahbiles
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Tips for a windy unsettled baby

Postby sarahbiles » Sat May 17, 2008 10:51 am

Oh I can sympathis with you on that one - Mac has been suffering - we've been using infacol but yesterday I got the dentinox - been adding it to his bottle and last night he slept really well. I've heard that Colief is very good but its nearly £10 a bottle but if it helps you sleep then its got to be worth a go. We found we could be trying to wind him for 1/2 hour with infacol and he wouldn't bring a thing up but with the dentinox its not half as bad. Sorry I can't help with the feeding issue though.

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Sat May 17, 2008 11:45 am

COLIEF! worked wonders for the girls as they were terrible like this (in fact it was the only thing that eased it). It is pricey if you buy it but you can get it on a prescription for the dr or from the hv!

jan x

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat May 17, 2008 5:14 pm

Can't believe how difficult it is to find a chemist open on a Saturday afternoon! Looked for colief in the supermarket on Friday but they didn't have it which is why I bought the Dentinox but the chemists weren't open this afternoon when I popped out so might have to look for one which opens tomorrow and give the colief a try.

He has been happy in a sling strapped to Mark this afternoon just hope he sleeps a little better tonight.

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Sat May 17, 2008 6:44 pm

the chemist in Asda is open!

jan x

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Sat May 17, 2008 11:44 pm

>:D< can understand completely hun. William constantly wanted to be held and had real problems with wind, made playtime with the 2 girls a real problem. We tried infants friend (I think its Australian tho so probably cant get it over there) and it worked wonders!

Was just thinking could there be anything that your eating that could be making him abit windy?

My avatar
Diner
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Diner » Sun May 18, 2008 6:39 am

>:D< >:D< >:D< Hope you had a better night last night! Amy slept beautifully from early on so when Tim decided that 3am to 5am was a good time to scream I didn't know what to do with myself. I never really found anything that helped (hope that you can). Tim did improve a bit at about 6 weeks and then even more by 3 months. Hang in there, it doesn't last forever altho' I know you probably feel like you are not sure you will make it to the end of the day! >:D<

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Sun May 18, 2008 8:31 am

I was going to say how about getting him in a sling.
Also have you looked into baby massage? It worked wonders with Kiara.
All the remedies that I tried from chemists only worked very temporarily with us.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun May 18, 2008 9:31 am

Definately popping out in a bit to the chemist, will try anything! He was fine until just after midnight but then was awake until about 3.30am :( After the 3rd nappy change, a change of clothes and sheets from sick and the umpteenth bout of hiccups, I was starting to despair, but he did eventually go to sleep with a few cuddles from Daddy. Unfortunately Charlotte arrived in our room at 6am :roll:

I feel like a bit of a zombie, Mark keeps reminding me it could be worse - a friend of ours had a baby who screamed constantly for hours and hours every evening and was inconsolable - at least Ben does settle in our arms.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler