hf1

Tips for a windy unsettled baby

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Tips for a windy unsettled baby

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun May 18, 2008 12:29 pm

Annette if he's being sick it could be reflux (whether the pukey type, or the silent acidy type) if so it will mean that lying on his back is very uncomfortable for him as the acid from the stomach rises back up the oesophagus (erm spelling!?) and burns...
Isabelle was a terribly unsettled baby and didn't really improve until a few months older... We did spend a lot of our nights awake with her despairing that she would never sleep.
Unfortunately I never persevered with the reflux thing as I thought if what the GP had given us (infant gaviscon) didn't work it must just be that she was an unsettled baby... I know different now of course and she should have had other medication that actually works! Nevermind...
Isabelle was one of those babies who screamed for hours every evening and was inconsolable... So it's good that he'll settle in your arms - you may just end up wearing him all the time but that can be SO tiring!
But it's early days yet...
Have you thought about trying cranial osteopathy?
Colief will only work if it's a lactose intolerance problem as it's a lactase enzyme (you MUST keep it in the fridge at all times or it will not work...)

If he is feeding a lot (i.e. constantly) that could be making him windy but it's hard to say - it could just be early days colic and will hopefully improve as he gets older. Isabelle also fed constantly, partly through hunger but also comfort.
The thing is if they fall asleep feeding they aren't getting as much milk as when they feed when awake which can mean that if they've been feeding asleep on you when you take them off they demand to go back on because despite being there for an HOUR they're STILL hungry aargh!

I'm sorry I can't really offer any decent suggestions, baby massage was of some help to us but Isabelle wasn't mad keen on being undressed for long tho' if the room was nice and warm it wasn't too bad - I covered all the parts of her that I wasn't massaging so she didn't feel too naked and uncomfortable.

Have you tried swaddling him at night and rocking him back to sleep? Only put him down when he's been asleep in your arms a good while too can help...

Johnny's baby Lucas was very unsettled for a good few weeks but he's now 4months and a lovely calm settled baby who (when not having a growth spurt) is sleeping relatively well and feeding better, I think she found the first four weeks the worst but it has improved a lot recently - I agree that around 6 weeks they have improved a lot and after 3months or so they've improved a lot too...

Big hugs xxxxx

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun May 18, 2008 12:30 pm

Oh and to give colief without a bottle (the stupid instructions say you should express and put it in your expressed milk) just put a drop on his tongue before each feed.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun May 18, 2008 5:02 pm

Thanks Steph and everyone. It is good to hear people's experiences even if there isn't a magic solution!

I eventually got some colief. Asda pharmacy don't stock it :roll: but I persuaded them to still give me back my parking fee as that was all I went for and I walked to Boots to get some. Couldn't believe something sooooo small could cost soooo much :shock: , hope it makes a difference, although it doesn't seem to have as yet. I spent quite some time this afternoon expressing and giving him a little in a bottle but if I can give it to him on his tongue it will make life much easier - did think it was a little anti-breast feeding :roll:

The only time Ben has slept today has been when in the pouch attached to either me or Mark which although is fine during the day I am starting to dread bedtime.

I have been swaddling him and rocking him to sleep. We have also propped up the end of his cot to see if that helps but doesn't seem to. He has been alot more sicky the last 2 days so I will speak with the midwife when she comes tomorrow and see what she says.

Don't think I am ready to try massage on him as Steph says, he absolutely hates laying on his back naked so nappy and clothes changes are a race to see if we can do it before he screams the house down and / or wakes Charlotte! or alternatively Leah (our cat) comes and bites us, she has always been quite concerned by crying babies and seems to want to tell us to do something about it by biting us!

Hope it just gets better over time.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sun May 18, 2008 6:16 pm

We propped the ends of Bella's cot up too, but we had to put 4 quite thick books under the front legs to get it up to a reasonable angle to help her. We did sometimes find her at the bottom of the cot in the morning. Propping it up this much did make quite a big difference.

I have to say Ben does sound a lot like Bella when she was newborn. She was very unsettled at night, sometimes being wide awake and uncomfortable (not sceaming) at 10.30 - 11pm. I also remember having her in the sling for most of the day some days, just to keep her upright and not puking. Infant Gaviscon did help a little and we found Infacol quite good to settle her at night. I wanted to try Colief, but was horrified at the price and wasn't sure if it would help any more.

In the end, we had to ride it out until the Gaviscon had some effect and helped her settle. We also found a warm bath before bed worked wonders for calming and settling her.

I hope you find some relief for him (and you) soon. It's such a shame when those magical first weeks are marred by an uncomfortable, fretful baby.

I honestly think, like Steph, that you may have a potential refluxer on your hands. Stand your ground with the GP and other health professionals. The first doctor I saw about it (at less than 2 weeks old) tried to tell me it was just a baby puking and it was nothing to worry about. My own doctor was so much more helpful.

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Sun May 18, 2008 7:16 pm

Could you talk to a breastfeeding counsellor? It might be that you need someone to watch him feed. Also take into account development spurts and maybe read 'The Fussy Baby' by Dr Sears?

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Sun May 18, 2008 7:56 pm

This sounds very like Connor, and I'm afraid he turned out to have reflux. Like Steph I didn't really chase up treatment for it, and didn't even have it diagnosed til he was 3 or 4 months old, as I just thought he was a 'sicky' baby. I was worried for a couple of weeks that Finn was going to be the same as he was very very unsettled, but things have improved alot so don't give up hope! It's probably worth mentioning to your HV, so she's aware of your concerns, not only for the sake of Ben's health but also so she knows how exhausting it is for you. This time round I realised that alot of Finn's crying was due to him being overtired so have been trying to keep an eye out for sleep cues, although it isn't easy for him to nap downstairs with Connor making as much noise as he can possibly make!

At least you know second time round that there's light at the end of the tunnel, and you WILL sleep again. Hopefully things will improve in the near future and in the meantime I'd go along with the previous suggestions of swaddling and propping up the cot end as both helped Connor. Fingers crossed for you,

Amanda x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun May 18, 2008 8:01 pm

I've got a copy of the fussy baby book by Dr Sears somewhere if you'd like to borrow it...

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ericaj1 » Mon May 19, 2008 4:45 pm

((())) Jack used to be very uncomfortable and upset each evening and used to scream and scream too, looking back I now think it was silent reflux but we live and learn. I used to spend hours massaging his tummy and back and it did help, I used to lay him on warm hot water bottle while I was doing it. It will get better hun, hang on in there. >:D<

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Mon May 19, 2008 7:59 pm

It took around 36 hours before I saw any benefit from the colief but once it started working, it really worked!

lots of >:D< >:D< to you all! I know how tough it can be! if the colief does work, get it on prescription from the hv next time you go to baby clinic! (I went through those teeny bottles at a rate of knots with both the girls taking it :shock: would have cost me a small fortune!)

jan x

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler